Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jt07000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 11:05 PM
    NJ resident -- consulting project work in NYC
    I work for a consulting firm in New Jersey -- and am paid a per diem wage (via w2).

I was assigned to a project located in NY City -- do I need to pay NY taxes for the days I worked there in 2008 ?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 02:30 AM

If you are present in a state, then any income earned during this period, must be reported to the state.

To your resident state, you must report your worldwide income for the year. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a NY resident work for USPS in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Can a person leaving in NYC work for United States Postal Services in N.J.

Work in NYC, but permanent resident of PA [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am working in NYC, but I am having trouble deciding which state to claim as residence. I do not want to pay NYC & NYS taxes because they are too high for my income bracket:mad: . I am trying to choose between PA or DE and that leaves me with a list of questions that I sort of know the...

1099-misc income for consulting work [ 10 Answers ]

I have a full time job, regular W2, no issues with that. I did some consulting work and have a 1099-misc for income I made listed in box 7, nonemployee compensation. I'm not too sure how to file it. In my tax software, it gives me a section for 1099-misc. But then it wants me to name my...

Consulting work and state W2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I work as a IT consultant for an company based in TN (No State Tax). I move every few months to different states and get W2 for those states. For 2006, I received W2 from CA, CO & NJ. My question for you guru's is that- Is my company doing the right thing? Can I just get one W2 of TN...

View more questions Search