Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    los425 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 07:38 PM
    Felony probation violation
    My friend is on felony probation he violated for the first time and they let him post bail he hired an attorney.. may he get off without prison time by any chance
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 07:47 PM

It is very unusual that he would be allowed bail, but there is always a chance, it is totally up to the judge it will help that he has an attorney
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by los425 View Post
    My friend is on felony probation he violated for the first time and they let him post bail he hired an attorney ..may he get off without prison time by any chance
    Hello lose:

The offer of bail indicates that there are NEW charges beyond the probation violation. I say that, because probation violation is NOT a crime in and of itself, so no bail is provided. A probation violator is NOT required to be charged within 72 hours as is an ordinary suspect. He isn't given an arraignment hearing where bail would ordinarily set were he a new offender.

A probation violator just sits in jail waiting for a violation hearing. Or he can be let out, but NOT on bail.

So, I doubt that he is simply a violator. But, I've been wrong before... Back in '03 I was wrong, once.

excon
    StillLuvHim28 Posts: 27, Reputation: -1

Mar 4, 2009, 12:43 PM

To excon... new to this site and don't know how to just message you but you seem so knowledgeable so trying this way... Anyways my boyfriend/baby's father got arrested on the 6th of last month for getting recorded on video selling drugs to an undercover cop and another time buying drugs and the last time taking money to purchase a handgun and cocaine, after that final thing on video they picked him up at his house, they set bond but then noticed he was on a 3 year probation for possession of "bars" I guess its called, so they put a probation hold and he's been in there ever since awaiting his trial date on 03/18th.

Before this happened (the new charges) although this is his first violation, his relationship with his p.o. is awful. He never called her, never reported or paid fines and also she got wind of him leaving the state for 5 months... But he does have a paid lawyer the best in our state when it comes to drug trials and we've paid him over 6000 and he promises that my man is coming home on 03/18... does this sound about right? Or will he be violated.

Oh and he has 12 failure to appear to court on his record for every single time he's been in trouble before this probation violation... I need advice on what those more experienced think will happen at his court date in two weeks. He's been on cloud 9 ready to come home and giving away his stuff on the inside and everything... should he be more worried??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felony probation felony violation-what will happen? [ 15 Answers ]

I have a godson whose mother is a convicted felon for forgery/writing checks, and is on felony probation, she was recently arrested, they had a bench warrant out for her arrest. She went to court, plead guilty, and went to court this morning to see what the charges were, they consisted of: usage of...

Felony Probation Violation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Last April I was convicted of felony corporal injury on my spouse ( I hit him w/my car while trying to leave his house). Since then we reunited; and this turned out to be a total nightmare. He obtained an order to not harrass, annoy, etc. him against me and was blackmailing me with it for...

Felony Probation Violation [ 3 Answers ]

If you are on felony probation and you get arrested for a DUI what are the consaquense's?

Felony probation violation [ 4 Answers ]

My son is being transported from one county 2 another on a felony probation violation for leave his county he spent 60 days for driving without a licesne his probation officer put a warrant out for him so now they have to transport to the other county. What might or could happen as for as time in...

Felony probation violation [ 1 Answers ]

HI my boyfriend is incarcerated on two charges but when he went to court today the DA refused to prosecute however instead of being released he has a court date set for tomorrow for felony probation violation what I don't understand is how they can violate him if the charges he was incarcerated for...

View more questions Search