Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lisadiy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 07:10 PM
    Utilizing a clothes washer line for an icemaker water line
    Hello!

A few years ago, I moved my washer/dryer from an inside washer/dryer inset located in my kitchen into the garage. I turned this area into a pantry and left both the hot and cold water valves protruding from the wall, as well as the 220 for the electric dryer.

I'm tearing out the "pantry" and opening the space to enlarge my kitchen. I'd like to:

One: Cap off the existing hot/cold valves (which have just been turned off) and
    Two: Utilize one or the other to install a water line for the fridge. My fridge doesn't currently have an icemaker, although, one day, I will replace it, and figured its best to do this preliminary work now that the walls and floor will be open.

The hot/cold valves I refer to are approximately 3 feet from where the fridge will be located.

Just so I'm relatively educated about what would be requried when I begin to acquire help to do this, is this project possible? And, how would one go about doing this task?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Lisadiy
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 10:49 PM

Sure, it is possible to do what you want to do. Question: Are you on slab or raised foundation ?
    Lisadiy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Hi,

Yes, I'm on raised foundation. My house is three levels; first is a basement, (the area under the kitchen essentially impossible to get to) the kitchen/living room on the second level, and the upstairs on the third.

The valves in the wall share the wall with the bathroom. The wall on thekitchen side will be open, as well as access to floor. (I'm can take up the sub floor if necessary).

Thanks for your response.

Lisa
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 11:36 AM

Lisa: we usually take water from kitchen sink to feed icemaker. That's because many people want to connect their icemaker line into a good quality filter ( like Everpure H300, Body Glove etc) that gives them filtrated water of "bottled water quality" for sink dispneser. We run 1/4" line "surface mounted" meaning through the cabinets. If your fridge well doesn't touch continuous raw of kitchen cabinets than you can hook it up to the bathroom sink plumbing or modify the existing washer cold water pipe to accommodate fridge location. To complete your remodel, cap off hot water under floor. Cut of and cap off washer drain under floor and vent in the ceiling.

Good luck with your project. Let me know how you did...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Icemaker line for refrigerator [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to install an icemaker line for my new refrigerator, I would like to use flexible copper. Here is my problem, my kitchen is on a slab, and I have to run the line up into my crawl space, which gets below 32 degrees in the winter. Would I be able to insulate this line or possibly run it...

Water hammer since installing icemaker line... [ 7 Answers ]

I connected the icemaker to the cold water in the sink area of the kitchen. I changed the single output shutoff valve that was on the cold water, and put a dual output. One side to sink, other to icemaker. I now hear a noticeable "clunk" sound when the upstairs toilet stops filling, and a less...

Washer hot water line leaks [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a new to me house and I am having a problem with the hot water line to the washer! The hose screws on just fine to the faucet but when the water is turned on there is a small leak. I thought maybe the hose was not any good, bought another one, and still the same problem exists....

View more questions Search