Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4morgan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Gran in Distress
    Son and wife now divorced. He lives in Florida, ex-wife and 1 yr old son in W. Virginia. Gran in Florida wants to go and see grandson but ex-dau-in-law says No. Do I have visitation rights?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 17, 2006, 11:49 AM
    Divorce is so stressful for everyone. I don't know about rights but you might arrange to see your grandson when he visits your son instead-- may be the easier way for everyone concerned.

And welcome to AMHD, neighbor!

Aug 17, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Hi Val - Your advice would be on the mark if he ever visited his dad, but that's not in the picture any time soon.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2006, 12:05 PM
    If you have the money to go up there, why don't you go with his dad and pick him up and bring him for a visit?

Depending if he is in school or not. If he is, why doesn't dad go with you?

Aug 17, 2006, 12:31 PM
    Forgive me for asking but its hard not to wonder... what happened to "dad"? Is there more to this than just a grandmother being shut out of a kid's life?
    BIM Posts: 245, Reputation: 50

Aug 17, 2006, 12:42 PM
    There are grandparent rights, for sure! You live in Florida? Contact a local attorney and ask. Asking doesn't cost. He could tell you what you can do.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 17, 2006, 06:48 PM
    It is sad that when a divorce comes about... now there is a child that will not experience a grand parent... All I know is this without my grandmother myself self-esteem will not exist... Get to know the daughter ex-dau-in-law... was your relationship with her confrontational within the years she was with your son... your son does not seem to care about the situation because he is not within the same state that his child residence is... open a dialog... send flowers with a card... apologize for any problems that caused this distance between her and you... give this an effort first... but, for back up talk to the American Bar Association and ask about civil-family-lawyers... grandparents rights are being addressed across the country...

Aug 18, 2006, 02:20 AM
    To answer your question, Valninor. Dad is most definitely around and wants to support his son, but ex and he split just before the birth and she is bitter. Vowed to 'get him'. It was a truly unhealthy situation with wrongs on both sides. She keeps putting him off when he wants to go to W.V. and has daddy's money to back her. He is now living on less than he's having to send to care for his son, and with her working too and leaving her son with her folks, there is appears to be a great imbalance of justice. He's in Florida 'cause that's where he was raised.

Aug 18, 2006, 03:28 AM
    Thank you for filling us in a little more. It sounds like both your son and you need to engage the services of an attorney for a complete evaluation of what arrangements can be made of this situation before anything from WV is going to change.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2006, 07:04 PM
    Probably not, unless the court specifically grants them to you. However your son has visitation rights so your best bet would be to visit with your grandson at the same time that your son visits with him.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 23, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Cianci... RIGHT ON !
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 24, 2006, 06:39 AM
    It is up to dad to fight for his rights in a court of law and for that he needs a good lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help with 1980 Plymouth Gran Fury [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1980 Plymouth Gran Fury that I am trying to get to get fixed up to pass inspection and drive it. I have everything working except the windshield wipers. The connecting caps on the linkage arm that connects the wiper motor to the blade mechanism had become corroded and eventually tore...

View more questions Search