Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikesuski Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Cashing in 401K

Will be laid off 03/31/09. Age is 61. 401k is currently double my outstanding mortgage amount. Thinking about using the 401k to pay off mortgage and invest remainer in an IRA. What penalties or taxes will I be facing? Could the 401k funds be rolled into an account at the bank holding my mortgage and used to pay the mortgage each month thereby reducing or eliminating any penalty or taxes?
    Logic for doing this is that I can then work part time and wait until 62 for social security.
    Thank you for your help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2009, 06:12 PM

Why would you exchange a tax deduction for a tax liability? If you are retiring from your current job, at your age, you can probably avoid the 10% penalty. But you can probably earn more then you save by paying off the mortgage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing out my 401k [ 3 Answers ]

Last year I left my job with $17k in my 401k. I want to re-fi my house which will save me over $11k over the life of the loan, pay off some credit cards and have hard cash on hand. I know I will take a hit on the penalties, taxes and maybe capital gains taxes however, with a newly elected...

Cashing in my 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I need some good advice.. First of all I am 61 years old and currently have income of $70K from both myself and spouse income. We have a home equity line of credit with a balance of $50K which is due in Dec 09. I am currently making quarterly interest payments of approximately $1000. I have a 401K...

Cashing out on my 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I'm thinking of switching jobs and have about 30,000 in debt. I have about 34,000 in a 401k that I was going to cash out on... not sure if the interest rates would be too high to justify this. Also, what about filing for bankruptcy... do they take your 401k money if a person files for bankruptcy?

Cashing out a 401K [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know the specific process on how to cash out my 401K from my old place of employement. I haven't worked there for 10 years. Who do I need to talk to? What forms do I need to fill out? I just need to know the right steps. I realize I will endure penalties, but it doesn't...

Cashing out a 401K [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I am a 38 year old married mother of three who lives in virginia-this info is purely for information purposes. I am leaving my job and need to figure out what to do with my small 401K. I have a loan that was taken out for part of a deposit on our house. My situation is this: I...

View more questions Search