Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    space207 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Early withdrawal
    I need to withdraw my 401 K funds but have been told I can't do it because I am still working for the company. My total is fully vested. I don't qualify for a hardship withdrawel & already have 2 loans on it. Is there anything I can do?
    longfellows Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 09:03 AM
    If I am terminated beceause my job has been outsourced, do I have to pay the 10% penalty for cashing my 401k? I am 47 years old and fully vested.:mad:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by space207
    I need to withdraw my 401 K funds but have been told I can't do it because I am still working for the company. My total is fully vested. I don't qualify for a hardship withdrawel & already have 2 loans on it. Is there anything I can do?
    Not much. You should be able to withdraw the money, but you will pay a 10% penalty as well as be liable for taxes on the withdrawn amount.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by longfellows
    If I am terminated beceause my job has been outsourced, do I have to pay the 10% penalty for cashing my 401k? I am 47 years old and fully vested.:mad:
    Yes. Any withdrawal not qualified as a hardship (and termination doesn't qualify), is subject to a 10% penalty. Plus taxes are owed.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 17, 2006, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by space207
    You may have to repay the loans first or there maybe a period that must be met (12 months) before you can withdraw from this account or make any changes as a result of taking out the loans. You may have to wait.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 17, 2006, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by longfellows
    Yes and any taxes on the amount. A roll over is a better option. See your plan administrator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K early withdrawal by non-resident [ 18 Answers ]

Hello I was working in the US until July 1st of this year (and since 2003). Ever since I have been living and working in the UK. I had earned about $46000 gross in my previous company in the US in those 6 months. I have about $20000 in my 401K account. I was planning to transfer all my 401K...

401K early withdrawal [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 401K question about early withdrawel. Actually, let me give you a scenario: 401K balance - $28000.00 I have the understanding that 20% is immediately taken out for federal taxes with an early withdrawel, which would be in this case $5600.00, and that would make the distribution...

401K early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been laid off due to a work injury. To survive I must cash in my 401k, but I am trying to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. I have not yet been declared disabled but am currently pursuing this. Our family taxable income is only 26,000.00. I am currently receiving workman's compensation...

401K Early Withdrawal Penalties? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about early withdrawal of my 401k due to changing employers. I am fully vested at my current company. I took a loan out from my 401k probably 6-8 months ago for personal reasons (not mortgage, etc.). Here are the details for that: I took out a loan of $2,868.01 and...

View more questions Search