Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jseward Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 09:02 AM
    401 K Withdrawals
    At what age can you start withdrawing from a 401K account?
    FrankK2 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2009, 12:05 PM

59 and 1/2.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 08:35 PM

If you mean: at what age can you start withdrawing without incurring the 10% early withdrawal penalty, then the answer is either:

1. Any time in the calendar year when you turn 59-1/2, or
    2. If you are age 55 or older in the year you are separated from service then you can start taking distributions without penalty.
    rkosheff Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 11:42 AM
    The 59 and 1/2 age does mean you avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty but you still pay ordinary income tax on the amount withdrawn. If possible, you can let the money grow until age 70 and 1/2 at which time partial withdrawal becomes mandatory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I going through withdrawals? [ 5 Answers ]

I wanted to know if I'm just going through withdrawals or am I just sick? I did heroin 5 times in the past 2 weeks and I decided to stop... the day after the lasttime I did it I started to feel sick and my body started to hurt. Its still been a couple days and I keep getting hot and cold flashes,...

Cymbalta withdrawals [ 1 Answers ]

What withdrawal symptons are you having and how long will it last

72T IRA Withdrawals [ 6 Answers ]

I have a friend who set up a 72T withdrawal account to make five substantially equal withdrawals within 5 years from his IRA since he needed the money and was not yet 59 1/2. He is desperately trying to avoid a tax penalty here for early withdrawal from his IRA if he violates the 72T rules. He is...

401(K) and withdrawals [ 1 Answers ]

I just rolled over $250K into my new employers 401K plan. I am 56-1/2 yrs old. I want to take out about $100K to buy a principal residence. What tax implications will I face? How much taxes (if any) would I have to pay? Is there a dollar limit on what I withdraw from the 401K? Thanks...

IRA withdrawals [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 403B and I am over 59!/2. It is only earning 4% so I want to roll it over into a traditional IRA. I may be in a fairly high tax bracket at 70 1/2 . My question is: is there a way to reduce taxes on withdrawals at age 70 1/2 by investing in mutual funds instead of a Bank CD? I know the CD...

View more questions Search