Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jobu15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 08:26 AM
    How can I keep my dog from crying in crate?
    I just got a 9 week old black full breed lab. I have already started the crate training and she does really well as long as I don't close the kennel. As soon as I close it she gets up and starts with a whine then starts barking. If I leave her alone eventually she stops. But at night it never stops she keeps going and I have tried to ignore it but it only gets worse. I do take her out to see if she needs to relieve herself then I immediately put her back in. I have tried putting treats and toys in there. I have also been feeding her in there to give her something positive in there. Her kennel is in the middle of the room and at night it goes right next to the bed. Is there any other suggestions I know I need to be patient I just want to know if I have taken the right steps for her to like her kennel.
    13ecca Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2009, 08:34 AM

I had a bit of trouble with the crate training with my pup when I got her, I did everything like you tried to make it a nice place instead of a ounishment etc.
    The advice I got was that my pup was only very young, just taken away from her mum, brothers and sisters and eventually would learn, so the only thing I could do was be patient.
    It took a while but we got there!
    This might not work for your pup, but just to put your mind at rest it sounds like your doing fine :)
    JADE13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Feb 18, 2009, 10:14 PM
    I have a 9 week Yorkie Mix that is still in potty training mode. I got him when he was only 7 weeks old and he also was crying nonstop at night. It began a vicious cycle of sleeping all day and staying up to cry all night. One thing you can try which I noticed helped me is to keep the pup up active up until bedtime. My boys love to play tag with my little guy. As they say... a tired pup is a happy pup. I did that a couple of times and now my pup sleeps through the night. You also have to keep making an effort to show him the crate is his little hideaway home and not a prison. I have the nylon foldable type. Although they do not recommend it for puppies (think some puppies will chew it to death), me and my pup love it. It has a very nice look and feel to it, very homey unlike the conventional cages. My pup took on to it very quickly and goes into it on its own when he needs to nap. Let your dog stay in your crate with the door open as much as possible so he can get the nice cozy feel of it. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Looks like I am crying! [ 5 Answers ]

I at least sometime in every season... though gladly not all the time... have tearing in both of my eyes. If I do not constantly wipe them away, I have tears streaming down my face. It also happens when I yawn. Any advice, or anyone with the same problem?

Separation anxiety and crate training issues. How can we house train without crate [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have got what is now a 7 month old black lab mix. Nearly everything I've read about house training involves crate training. Unfortunately, our puppy has some severe anxiety issues (separation anxiety being one of them). We are currently working with a trainer to try to help her with...

Dog Pooping In Crate Anc Crying [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is an american eskimo beagle mix. I got him 6 days ago. I have been reading about what to do with him because he keeps pooping in his crate. He is small, about 5 pounds. I had him in a cat carrier and he screamed and hated it. So I thought it was too small. So I put him in a crate. I had to...

I keep crying [ 10 Answers ]

I keep on crying and I don't know why. I've struggling at home and school. This could be why but I keep crying over stupid things like burning my toast or not having any credit on my mobile. I feel so stupid. No-one else knows how I feel and I don't know what to do. Does anyone know why I'm feeling...

Dog crying? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Golden retriever/German shepard cross, and she's female. The past few days she's been crying, then she goes to lay on her bed, she just randomly cries. She's eating and wants to play etc, but we have no idea why that could be? She hasn't been spayed, no, and there's a lot of...

View more questions Search