Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2spunky2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 06:42 AM
    What to mount shower door onto
    We are building a new house. When we originally discussed the shower with the installer, we agreed to his suggestion to tile up to the frame of the shower door. Our neighbour (the builder cringes when he comes over), recently convinced us that the installation would be much better if we extended the ceramic tile such that the shower door would be mounted onto the tile. Sounds good - so more tile was ordered.

Problem: the builder just called, not too happy, to say that the shower door is a custom order and that if the opening is now going to be a half-inch less, we risk cracking it on installation. Is a tile-mount installation so much better to be worth the extra risk? (and what is the construction equivalent of luddite?) :confused:
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Feb 18, 2009, 11:00 AM

Is this a frameless glass custom order?

Standard practise is to measure after everything is finished and then order the door. It is risky to order in advance if you want a proper fit.

Tiles behind the door would be nice. That is the way we typically do ours.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 02:46 PM

2 spunky

I normally mount the door on the tile and pre layout so a standard door can be used to get away from custom work.

At this point I would take a thin diamond wheel on a 4" grinder and cut a slot for the frame to go back to that 1/2 difference.

This back to re-hap now bummer. I doubt it but you could call a real glass company and see if they could cut off a 1/2"

Is it possible to belt sand each channel 1/4" to get back the 1/2"?

I don't know what style of door you have like
    Rtw travel pointed out.

Just suggesting some options.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower door [ 3 Answers ]

Just moved into brand new condo and shower door does not close. Builder said it needed adjusting but it seems to get worse as I use it . When I release door it use to open about 1 inch now it opens on its own to about 6 inches. The builder wants to replace a plastic tube like thing at edging of...

Wet mount and dry mount preparation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the advantage of using wet mount preparation instead of dry mount preparation?

How to mount a wall mount pot filler [ 3 Answers ]

I was thinking about installing a wall mounted pot filler in our kitchen. What type of fitting and mounting does this require. I am using ½” copper to a thread male. I will secure the pipe to the stud. Is this correct. How far out does the thread need to stick out of the wall.

Can a glass shower door be installed on the edge of shower. [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a new shower installed and I wanted to put the shower door on the edge of the shower because the width is 29". Is there a way that the glass can be set on the edge without breaking the tile when installed?

Garage door opener wall mount button [ 8 Answers ]

Just installed a stanley garage door opener model 810 and I tried to install the door mount button, but I'm having problems. The wall button is very similar looking like a doorbell in which I connect the 2 wires to the opener (motor). However when I connect, the door automatically opens, but when I...

View more questions Search