Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oscar1111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 10:24 PM
    In Small bus is it OK to pay self a small salary & use a schedule e for bus profit
    In my small business is it OK to pay myself a small salary & use a schedule e for business profit? I do this to avoid high ss taxes and medicare taxes.
    answeromatic Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2009, 09:29 AM

That's a loaded question. You can and you can't. A great way to keep your taxes down is to write off a bunch of stuff on the profit of your business. So if you are with $30,000 income let's say, you might be able to write off $10,000, so now your down to $20,000.

Then you say you made X amount of dollars, lets say $15,000. You are now taxed on the $15,000 instead of $30,000. And then claim $500.00 as profit for your business.

The reason I'm leaning more towards not writing off as much as business profit, is if you get audited, you better ready to show that you didn't use the money for personal use.

My opinion as a small business owner! However, you can ask an accountant and they can tell for you sure!
    Booky Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 11:42 AM

The first question that needs an answer is what kind of a business entity are you? I am making an assumption that you are probably a sole proprietor. If so, you don't pay yourself a paycheck and you report your business activities on a Schedule C on your income tax. If you have a profit, you will pay self employment taxes on that profit.

You need to consult an accounting professional in your area that can discuss how small business taxes work. Make sure you are complying with local county and city tax regulations. Finding out later than sooner can be a very costly mistake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I deal with small capital gains & Schedule D? [ 9 Answers ]

Asking you accountant-types at your help desks, :) My wife inherited, along with one sibling, one-half share in her mom's home. I have done some reading online, but I'd like to hear from some of you how to deal with this new area for me. I'm a do-it-myself tax preparer, but Schedule C and SE...

Small business with low investment and high profit [ 60 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Monica Srivastava. I want to start my own new business. Though I don't have much capital to invest, as I am working but don't have enough savings to invest in business. I don't know if its weird to ask whether there could be something like business and done without investing? ...

Vistiation schedule for a small child [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a single mother and never married. I have a son who is 23 months old, His father and I are in a battle for visitation. He already gets my son every sat from 9am to 12pm and comes to my house to see my son about twice a week for about an hour or two. Now he is taking me to court and asking...

View more questions Search