Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thesmith_85 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 11:32 AM
    Likes and dislikes about military!
    Hi my name is abraham I am 24 years old, I am currently in college and will earn an assosiates degree in arts this semestre I am planning on joining the U.S marines, and would like to know about any experiences in the military. Thank you hope to get some answer... Abraham
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 12:12 PM

Retired Navy Wife chiming in here.

I'm curious why an Art Major would be drawn to the Marines.

Husband served 20 years. Bad parts - separation, long hours, crappy living conditions (while underway).

Good parts - he has a pension for life as well as healthcare, lifetime friends, he has seen the world (I got the postcards!)

Good Luck!

Feb 17, 2009, 01:09 PM
    I was currently working on my degree in criminal justice, wich I still have 1 more year to complete, and I plan to do it while in the military. I know if I get in the military with any kind of degree I could get promoted. When I talked to my counselor he said that I could earn a degree in arts this semestre.
    wonderme24 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 09:15 PM

Hi thesmith, I am also wanting to join the military after I finish my associates I am in my last class and have 4 more weeks to get my associates in business. The reason why I want to joing is pretty much the benefits, I can get school loan repayment and attend college while enlisted, also medical and dental insurance for me and my family. The only obstacle I am facing at the moment is that I am a little overweight and need to loose some pounds before I enlist. I know some bad parts of the military is being away from your family well in my case. There are many pros and cons to joining the military but there are pros and cons in every single job.

Wonder

Feb 24, 2009, 11:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderme24 View Post
    Hi thesmith, I am also wanting to join the military after I finish my associates I am in my last class and have 4 more weeks to get my associates in business. The reason why I want to joing is pretty much the benefits, I can get school loan repayment and attend college while enlisted, also medical and dental insurance for me and my family. The only obstacle I am facing at the moment is that I am a little overweight and need to loose some pounds before I enlist. I know some bad parts of the military is being away from your family well in my case. there are many pros and cons to joining the military but there are pros and cons in every single job.

Wonder

Hi wonderme24, thanks for the post, can you tell me a little bit more about loan repayment?? I have a 5G' loan. How do I repay it? If you need to loose weight I can help you I used to weight 280 pounds and now I am 6'0 200 pounds if you would like I can help you giving you tips of course it took me hard work and a strict diet but if I did it you can too . Just let me know. Do you know your MOS? What score did you got in your ASVAB? Thanks take care .

thesmith_85
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 06:18 AM
    Hi thesmith, I am also wanting to join the military after I finish my associates I am in my last class and have 4 more weeks to get my associates in business. The reason why I want to joing is pretty much the benefits, I can get school loan repayment and attend college while enlisted, also medical and dental insurance for me and my family. The only obstacle I am facing at the moment is that I am a little overweight and need to loose some pounds before I enlist. I know some bad parts of the military is being away from your family well in my case. there are many pros and cons to joining the military but there are pros and cons in every single job.

Wonder
    My nephew's recruiter trained with him before he was sworn in. He came to the house and they work run and workout to get him in condition before he was sent to basic training (about 6 weeks prior). Ask your recruiter if he can set up something similar.

Mar 1, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmith_85 View Post
    hi wonderme24, thanks for the post, can you tell me a little bit more about loan repayment??? i have a 5G' loan. how do i repay it ?? if you need to loose weight i can help you i used to weight 280 pounds and now i am 6'0 200 pounds if you would like i can help you giving you tips of course it took me hard work and a strict diet but if i did it you can too . just let me know. do you know your MOS?? What score did you got in your ASVAB?? thanks take care .

thesmith_85
    THesmith, I would love some help with losing weight I am trying but as you know it's harder than gaining it. What I know about the loan repayment is that they have either 65G's to help you with paying you loans but it's only school loans. They also have the GI bill my recruiter told me that they see which one amounts to more money to help you with. I have a lot of student loans. Anyway I'll be waiting for some tips for weight loss. Thank You!

WonderMe

Mar 1, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland View Post
    My nephew's recruiter trained with him before he was sworn in. He came to the house and they work run and workout to get him in condition before he was sent to basic training (about 6 weeks prior). Ask your recruiter if he can set up something similar.

Wow my recruiter didn't offer me anything like that. I first have to loose the weight and then I can sign up and start getting ready for basic training. Maybe they will help me more until then. Thanks for the heads up

Wonder

Mar 2, 2009, 08:01 PM
    Wonderme! If you would like me to help you I can help you I been learning a lot about nutrition and weight loss. First I need to know how big you are. How tall and how much do you weight. If you want to send me your Facebook or myspace (if you hace) so I can see where are you at and see what we can do for you to loose weight. If you want to search me on myspace or eBay and look for my before and after pictures you can search me by [email protected] see you ! Take care

THesmith, I would love some help with loosing weight I am trying but as you know it's harder than gaining it. What I know about the loan repayment is that they have either 65G's to help you with paying you loans but it's only school loans. They also have the GI bill my recruiter told me that they see which one amounts to more money to help you with. I have alot of student loans. anyway I'll be waiting for some tips for weight loss. Thank You!

WonderMe
    KatiePlce Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Mar 17, 2009, 03:17 PM

Hey I'm a 22 yrs old in the Active army, been in for a little over 2yrs..
    Bad thing is your on call 24/7 under paid for working loong hrs. Only time you make good pay is if your married or you stay in long enough to make rank, and being in the army you rank up pretty fast if you reinlist, as for marines I hear it takes awhile, a buddy of mine has been in over 3yrs and still isn't an e-4...

I can honestly say that joining for ME at least I lost whatever life I had before. If your planning on going active then you need to be ready to MOVE away from family for along time. They will put you on WHATEVER base needs you. I got recruited in PA & I now live in KY ft campbell. I HATE IT. Never see family usually living near a base is isolated because they need A lot of land for the training. So your smack middle in the middle OF NOWHERE and it gets BORING. I would say that MOSTLY everyone DRINKS on the free time because there's nothing to do at all when your not working.

Oh and get ready to be treated by NOTHING but RANK.
    You will be treated like an idiot when you 1st join because SGTS & your uppers need to mold you. & you will be on a leash EVERYWHERE, you get caught doing ANYTHING stupid you WILL pay for it by getting smoked(term in the army for muscle failure) its not easy.
    They will have you doing dumb crap NO MATTER what months you choose.

Ups?
    Uh your friendships you make will be VERY close bond.
    The military takes care of you ON almost all of your finances.
    Sick? Its free to get meds and get checked on.
    Discounts everywhere ;)
    IF you get a good sgt who takes care of his squad (WHICH IS RARE) you can do your job and be done for the day early.

Mar 18, 2009, 12:14 AM
    WOW! Thanks a lot for your answer and your point of view, I have only hear about the good things not the bad ones. Did you travel oversease? Do you have time to go to school? Do you know something about the loan repayment? I appresiate your response katie.. .

Quote Originally Posted by KatiePlce View Post
    Hey im a 22 yrs old in the Active army, been in for alittle over 2yrs..
    bad thing is your on call 24/7 under paid for working loong hrs. Only time you make good pay is if your married or you stay in long enough to make rank, and being in the army you rank up pretty fast if u reinlist, as for marines I hear it takes awhile, a buddy of mine has been in over 3yrs and still isnt an e-4...

I can honestly say that joining for ME at least I lost whatever life i had before. If your planning on going active then you need to be ready to MOVE away from family for along time. They will put you on WHATEVER base needs you. I got recruited in PA & I now live in KY ft campbell. I HATE IT. never see family usually living near a base is isolated because they need ALOT of land for the training. so your smack middle in the middle OF NOWHERE and it gets BORING. I would say that MOSTLY every1 DRINKS on the free time because theres nothing to do at all when your not working.

Oh and get ready to be treated by NOTHING but RANK.
    you will be treated like an idiot when you 1st join because SGTS & your uppers need to mold you. & you will be on a leash EVERYWHERE, you get caught doing ANYTHING stupid you WILL pay for it by getting smoked(term in the army for muscle failure) its not easy.
    they will have you doing dumb crap NO MATTER what mos you choose.

ups?
    uh your friendships you make will be VERY close bond.
    The military takes care of you ON almost all of your finances.
    Sick? its free to get meds and get checked on.
    discounts everywhere ;)
    IF you get a good sgt who takes care of his squad (WHICH IS RARE) you can do your job and be done for the day early.
    KatiePlce Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Mar 18, 2009, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmith_85 View Post
    WOW!! ! thanks alot for your answer and your point of view, i hav only hear about the good things not the bad ones. did you travel oversease ?? do you have time to go to school? do you know something about the loan repayment ?? i appresiate your response katie. . . .

Yeah when I was recruited I wasn't really told ANYTHING truthful about AN ACTUAL REAL day in the army, typical day is waking up at 530am being at work by 6am for formation with your company to do PT for an hr+ depending (not on weekends obviously) off for breakfast then back to work at 930... depending on what months its pretty much the same, not to sure about the loans haven't really looked into that but a recruiter should know. My brigade won't deploy till the end of this yr. So all we've been doing is training for afghan.

But I hate recruiters they blow up there as to do ANYTHING to get you to sign so beware.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why fiancˇ father dislikes him so much [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am a 27 year old mother of four children, Engaged to a wonderful man. I adore his mother and his sister. They are wonderful people. But his dad on the other hand I just can't bring myself to like the man. From when I started dating Al ( he is younger than me) His dad seam to be...

Puppy dislikes family [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I bought a puppy(boston terrier) 2 months ago. First, It was all set up so I could go to the lady's house to see the puppies parents, living conditions, etc.. On my way there(4 hr drive) she called and gave me a big family drama story, and she wanted to know if I could just meet here...

Dislikes lightened hair [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have colored someone's hair whose natural color is a light to medium brown.She wanted it bit brighter and chose these colors. I used a mixture of Wella color light brown (level 5; base natural) & pale blonde w/ 20 vol peroxide. My friend dislikes the color at the root area which looks a...

I got married to a military guy, and we got military housing [ 6 Answers ]

MY husband and I became eligible for base housing and took it, because the only time we would move in was that day. In my old apartment lease there is a military clause. However I got the apartment before I became married, and my husband is not on the lease. My landlord is saying that the military...

Dislikes Orgasm [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend have been together for over a year and we have not had sex yet but we do everything else, she hasn't orgasmed fully yet she stops me from touching her when she starts having muscle contractions she says sh doesn't like the feeling of the contractions I have no idea what is...

View more questions Search