Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bshelton Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Employment References
    In New York State is it legal for a former employer to give more than start date, end date and resigned or fired? For example can they give disciplinary history and opinion of you? I know the corporate ruling for this company is that they can't give more than that. How would signing an information release play into it?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 12:00 PM

Are you asking because this happened to you, or is this a hypothetical question?

Feb 18, 2009, 12:02 PM
    It happened.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 12:04 PM

If you signed a release then you are allowing the previous company to release any pertinent information about you to the inquiring company.

Feb 18, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Does that include a very negative opinion of me from someone who was known to have a problem with me when other references from other bosses at this place gave good references?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 12:10 PM

You need to be more specific. Who had a problem with you? Was it a supervisor? Was it your boss? Are they saying things that aren't true?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2009, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bshelton View Post
    Does that include a very negative opinion of me from someone who was known to have a problem with me when other references from other bosses at this place gave good references??

If you signed a blanket (unrestricted release) they are entitled to anything and everything the company has on its records about you, including information from and by other employees.

I am in NYS; I do these investigations on a somewhat regular basis. Once you sign that info can be released there is no liability.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 04:03 PM

Most employment applications for background searches will include permission to do background search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cell references within VBA in an Excel macro [ 1 Answers ]

In a macro in Excel I want to refer to a cell where the user entered a number. I want that number to be the row number for the macro to move to. (I will then select the entire row and copy it to row 1, which I know how to do). How can I tell the macro which row to go to, using the number...

Tattoo picture references [ 1 Answers ]

I have been hunting high and low for a reference picture of a tattoo I want, I have only found a couple that are not very good... what I want to get is an Ankh but instead of a regular loop at the top of it I was thinking of having a snake wraped around it and loop across the top and my birthday...

Neg employee references [ 2 Answers ]

I was injured on the job. I was later discharged for my position which they stated I was making to many mistakes. I however was (with out my knowledge) training my replacement. I have applied for over 350 jobs and had very very good interviews but have never been offered the job. I come to find...

Please I need some references for my assignment [ 1 Answers ]

Hi good morning. I was wondering if you can please help me with some of these references. I'm having trouble finding the what they wrote about including the title. Cormack (1991) (Langford 2001). (Parahoo 1997). (Daly et al 2002). (Hewitt-Taylor 2002). I would be very happy if you can help...

View more questions Search