Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scprosportsman Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Help, about to throw Murray Rider in the bottom of the lake!!
    Ok, so I was given this Murray riding lawn mower for free. Guess I found out why. Thought it should have been an easy fix but now I'm so pissed at it. Ive replaced about every damn part and it still won't start. It has an 11hp Briggs and Stratton engine on it. Ive replaced the battery, starter solenoid, carburator, throttle, air cleaner, and now I just replaced the ignition coil, wire and new plug. It still won't start. It has absolutely NO spark. How the heck can that even be possible with EVERYTHING being new on the ignition side. New coil, plug and wire and still no spark? Somebody help me before I go insane! All I want is for the dang thing to start so I can at least use it once this year before I have to put it up already for winter. Is there anything I'm not thinking of that would cause no spark? Is there possibly something wired wrong? The new coil only had 2 ground wires come with it ( or so that's what they seem to be.) I hooked the longer one up to the block at the grounding point where it use to be but what about the other small one? Where is that suppose to go? That was only long enough to reach the bolt that held the coil down so I put it on that bolt. Is that correct? Is there any type of stupid safety thing somewhere I don't know about that cuts the spark? Im also trying to start it without sitting on the seat and without pushing in on the clutch. Is there any safety switches that prevent a spark that I am unaware of? Please help, I'm begging you. Thanks in advance.

Nick
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2006, 08:20 PM
    What year is the engine? Get the model, type, and code off the engine... there should only be one wire... the kill wire, this was a oem coil right? Pull both wires off and try it. You have kill switches (seat, deck, brake/clutch) but one may be bad... Don't get too fed up... murrays are some of the simplest in wiring...

Aug 17, 2006, 02:10 AM
    Not sure as of the year of the engine since it was just given to me. The did finally get the type and code though. Here it is...

Model- 252707
    Type- 063202 00DE

That's everything that was on the front cover. So do you think I need to be sitting on it while pushing in on the clutch or something to check if its one of the kill switches? This also was an OEM coil. I ordered it right from Briggs and Stratton themselves. Well any more suggestions please let me know. Thanks again.

Nick
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2006, 10:36 AM
    Yes you have to be sitting on it, while pushing the clutch in...

Is the last bottom numbers the code? If it is, then it's a 05 which it doesn't sound like one.
    ru4him Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Step 1: Look under the seat. You should see two kill switches resting on some coils that fit ina bracket. Sometimes the bracket gets dislodged and the kill switches are askew. Make sure the wires are still attached to the switches.

Step 2: Make sure the blade is not engaged.

Step 3: Sit on the seat, push in the clutch, and fire it off (making sure you hold your mouth just right first).

[B>)#===>

Aug 17, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Well ill have to try all that out tomorrow since its to late tonight and I just got off work. I appreciate all the input and ill give it a shot first thing tomorrow and post the results. I sure hope it starts. Ill have to check the seat switches because I sat on it real quick tonight and pushed in the clutch and it still sat there just turning over and over and didn't even attempt to start.

Also yes those are all the codes I got off the engine. It had the model number then to the right it had the type and then it had that last number listed like this... 00DE 05041811 they were side by side so I assumed they were all for the code. It definitely is not an 05' though. It looks like an early to mid 90's model. Ill post a pic up tomorrow if your able to on here tomorrow. Its got a weird setup. Where you would engage the blades I guess on the lever to the left you have to pull down on it to engage a safety type switch before you can engage the starter to get it to turn over with the key. Have you seen this before? Thanks again for the help.
    ru4him Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 07:29 PM
    When you were checking for a spark, did you have the plug grounded agaimst the head first? Just put a screwdrier through the open tip of the wire and hold it close to the plug to see if there is a spark.

You said you replaced the coil. Is that the same as the magneto? IF this machine has been out in the rain a few times, the magneto can get rusty or just get a film of residue over it and it won't generate a spark.

Check along the harness for an inline fuse. It should be on the harness itself behind the dash. If the fuse is blown you won't get any spark.

What engages the blades? Is it a lever or is there an electric clutch that you pull a knob out to engage?

Go to Murray.com, enter your model#, and fing the wiring diagram (or a similar one). Look for all the kill switches there. Spray drying fluid on them.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2006, 06:07 AM
    Ru, if the fuse was blown, wouldn't even turn over.. as for rust... it's a maybe, But I've seen some really, really rusted up flywheels and coils... and they still sparked...

Pictures would help some...

Btw... some switches (like the deck, and clutch switch) will let the engine turn over... just not give the engine spark.

Aug 18, 2006, 06:39 PM
    The engine itself is no that rusty at all. When I tested for spark I had the plug out and against the block like I've checked for spark a million other times and it worked. Unless it was one of the kill switches preventing the spark which I'm guessing it is. I just can't figure out which one. I checked the inline fuse and its still OK. Not broken or anything. The blade engage by the way is a lever to the right of the stearing wheel that you push up to engage and it has to be pulled all the way back against that safety switch to even turn over. Ill check all the switches again tomorrow. My buddy said it could also be the points?? Could this be a possibility? Any good way to check this? Thanks.
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2006, 05:00 PM
    The engine shouldn't have points... briggs got rid of them in 83...

That lever sounds like the way some nomas were (murray bought noma).

Try the coil with both of those wires pulled off... and see about it then.

Edit... it could not be the original engine... never thought about that, and not the original engine shroud...

If it had points, they would be under the flywheel (flywheel has to come off)

Aug 29, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Ok, another update. I finally got some time off work and got another chance to mess with the engine. I took both the wires off from the coil and now I have spark if I hold the connector from the plug wire against the end of the spark plug or up against the block but it seems a little weak. I put the wire back on the plug and check but then it has no spark coming through the spark plug?? How does that work? Is it just to week to send it through the plug? Why also will it spark with the wires off but not on? Will it still run this way? I also have some compression coming back out of the carb. This is a new carb so there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. Any other reason why? I tried some starter fluid even just to try and get it to kick once like it wanted to start and STILL nothing? This is so frustrating. Any more ideas to check? I cleaned the entire flywheel with sandpaper to get rid of any rust and then cleaned it with WD-40 to try and get a better spark but it wasn't much better. Tiny bit but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    The engine shouldn't have points..... briggs got rid of em in 83.....

That lever sounds like the way some nomas were (murray bought noma).

Try the coil with both of those wires pulled off..... and see about it then.

Edit..... it could not be the original engine... never thought about that, and not the original engine shroud....

If it had points, they would be under the flywheel (flywheel has to come off)
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2006, 04:59 PM
    OK, your ground the plug to the engine to check for spark?

What did the spark look like, blue?
    Like I said, can't tell if this is the original engine or not... So I'd pull the flywheel and check for points...

Aug 29, 2006, 05:12 PM
    I just had the guy over today that I got the mower from. He said it is the original engine so I didn't even bother to check for points. Yes it was a blue spark but did not appear very strong. It was just little sparks jumping to the block but it almost had to be up against the block to get anything.

OK, your ground the plug to the engine to check for spark?

What did the spark look like, blue?
    Like I said, can't tell if this is the original engine or not..... So I'd pull the flywheel and check for points...
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 12:47 AM
    Have you tried it with the spark plug? (just hook the plug up, ground the threads to the engine and turn it over) (of course have the plug gapped at .30)

Aug 30, 2006, 05:15 AM
    Yes, I've tried it with the plug. I did exactly as you said and got no spark through the plug at all. If I take the wire off the plug through ill get a spark just off the wire to the block. As soon as I put it on the plug though its like its to weak and won't go through the plug. Ive grounded the threads to the block and everything and nothing! Tried a couple different plugs also thinking maybe the first was just bad or something. All new plugs and even one old one from my push mower and non of them gave off a spark. Just doesn't make any sense??

Have you tried it with the spark plug? (just hook the plug up, ground the threads to the engine and turn it over) (of course have the plug gapped at .30)
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 10:37 PM
    Don't think I ever asked or it was said, this was a oem coil? Try to return it and try another if you can.

Aug 31, 2006, 03:32 AM
    Don't think I ever asked or it was said, this was a oem coil? try to return it and try another if you can.
    Yes, this was an OEM coil I got directly from B&S's website. I don't see why there would be a problem with it. I get a spark off it. Just seems kind of week. Something else has got to be the culprit I just can't seem to pinpoint it yet. Guess ill break down and take it somewhere. Heck with it.
    odb Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Man I have the same problem with my john deere.I have tried everything.we have the very same problem.UNREAL.im still working on mine so if I find the problem I will let you know.please do the same.if I don't get this thing fixed pretty soon I'm going to have to buy a horse for grazing the yard.
    handyhelper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scprosportsman
    Ok, so i was given this Murray riding lawn mower for free. Guess i found out why. Thought it should have been an easy fix but now im so pissed at it. Ive replaced about every damn part and it still wont start. It has an 11hp Briggs and Stratton engine on it. Ive replaced the battery, starter solenoid, carburator, throttle, air cleaner, and now i just replaced the ignition coil, wire and new plug. It still wont start. It has absolutely NO spark. How the heck can that even be possible with EVERYTHING being new on the ignition side. New coil, plug and wire and still no spark? Somebody help me before i go insane! All i want is for the dang thing to start so i can atleast use it once this year before i have to put it up already for winter. Is there anything im not thinking of that would cause no spark? Is there possibly something wired wrong? the new coil only had 2 ground wires come with it ( or so thats what they seem to be.) I hooked the longer one up to the block at the grounding point where it use to be but what about the other small one? Where is that suppose to go? That was only long enough to reach the bolt that held the coil down so i put it on that bolt. Is that correct? Is there any type of stupid safety thing somewhere i dont know about that cuts the spark? Im also trying to start it without sitting on the seat and without pushing in on the clutch. Is there any safety switches that prevent a spark that i am unaware of? Please help, im begging you. thanks in advance.

Nick
    There might be a wire that is supposed to connect to the bottom of the tractor seat that would be a "dead man switch" which may prevent your mower from starting... The idea is to be seated when starting up... could be that this wire has been disconnected by previous owner who had same problem as you... just an idea though... bought a 1991 HUSKEE rinding mower yesterday with wire disconnected... fyi... thx
    odb Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Just wanted to let you know.I fixed my mower.I had the same problem as you.come to find out it was the spark module which is a silver transister looking like part on the side of your engine.cost 56 bucks.it is what provides spark to your coil that provides spark to your spark plug.GO FIGURE.HOPE THIS FIXES YOUR PROBLEM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I throw like a girl [ 8 Answers ]

It's embarrassing... I'm a 20 year old male and apparently I have the throwing action of a girl. I used to play cricket when I was in primary school, in high school once a group of people made fun of me during sport because they said I throw like a girl... I never knew! All through high school I...

Murray Rider Will Not Start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray Select Ridding Mower model # 425600x8A it will not start? The fuse is fine. The seat switch was disconnected the key switch is on the funny thing is that I disconnected the battery ground side and when I touch the cable to the GR post the engine turns over, but no spark. I noticed...

Casablanca Fan with Single pole, triple throw, with off position [ 3 Answers ]

Witch Color goes into which electrical connection: We have black, grey, pink and yellow colors and stations L-1-2-3 Thanks

Murray rider won't start [ 8 Answers ]

Ive got a fully charged battery, the starter just chugs a little, Not enough to start it up, and the red connection at the starter Heats up and smokes. Is the starter bad, or do I have electrical problem elsewhere? I think I just replaced the starter last summer. Help?

Murray rider troubles [ 6 Answers ]

I got a free `97 Murray riding lawn mower (42" cut) with a Tecumseh 15.5 engine. All I know is it was given away (to me) because it had been sitting for a while. The previous owners wife (she gave it to me, tired of it just sitting! ) told me the drive belt was toast, and that's why it was parked....

View more questions Search