Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaymech Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Which Form Should I submit for F1 visa?
    Hi,

I am currently working under OPT F1 visa status. I worked 4 months in 2008 under same visa status.

Which form/s do I need to send to IRS?

Thanks,

Jay
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 02:31 AM

On F1/OPT you are exempt from residency for 5-years. You must file non-resident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. Your income is not subject to FICA taxes but you must pay federal and state income taxes.

On your OPT income you will get deduction based on tax treaty between the U.S. and your country.
    Read: http://taxipay.blogspot.com/2008/03/...s-for-non.html
    jaymech Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    On F1/OPT you are exempt from residency for 5-years. You must file non-resident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. Your income is not subject to FICA taxes but you must pay federal and state income taxes.

On your OPT income you will get deduction based on tax treaty between the U.S. and your country.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Thanks for your advise.

I also found out that for Students under US-India Tax treaty , I can claim $5450 standard exemption under Article 21(2) . IS this true?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 12:57 AM

Yes, you can claim $5,450 as itemized deduction. You can not claim any other itemized deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

L1-B; Got W2 form; Where to submit? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was there in California, USA from 08-Nov-2006 to 01-Oct-2007 and L1-B. My first salary(per diem basis) was processed in Jan 1-15 pay cycle. Now I am in India. I got the W2-form from my employer today. Please let me know where do I need to submit for the tax fund and which component I...

I got EAD(L-2) which form will submit in the TAX [ 1 Answers ]

I have a doubt, I got a EAD (L-2), After starts to works by which form I submit the taxes and what are the benefits to come for me. Thanks & Regards Raavi

What is residential status and what is the tax form I should submit [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA for the first time on Oct 14th 2006. What is my residence status for filing IRS taxes for 2006

Which form to submit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My husband completed his Masters from US on June 05 and got job in sept 05.till then he was on f1 and I was on f4 status.his H1 visa started from March 06 , and we submitted 1040 NR last year . IN 2006 We had a daughter (us citizen) ,I want to know which form we should fill as right now we are...

View more questions Search