Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maccaroni Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2009, 10:18 AM
    Risk of pre-eclampsia
    Do any of the experts know if there is still a risk of pre-eclampsia if you do not have high blood presssure but you have swollen ankles and protein in your urine?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 10:56 AM
    Protein in urine is a good sign that pre-eclampsia may be beginning. Do you know what your protein level is? Is it 1+? 2+?

Swollen ankles is normal in pregnancy, I see it every day I work. It's the rare patient I have that does not have swollen ankles.

May I ask how far along you are?
    Jentau Posts: 57, Reputation: 8

Feb 17, 2009, 11:09 AM

With my first child I had protein levels a little high normal blood pressure and the next time I went to my scheduled appt. my blood pressure was crazy high and they put me on bed rest from pre-eclampsia. So it happens
    Maccaroni Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2009, 02:44 PM

I'm 35 weeks, although my baby is measuring a fundal height of at least 2cm bigger. I expected my ankles to swell but at one point my ankle bones vanished for days and I haven't worn anything but Ugg boots for 3 months. I can't get my rings on either. I haven't had the full test results back yet, other than the instant result that protein was present. The midwife dismissed it because my blood pressure was normal but I read on an information website that normal blood pressure didn't rule it out. How do they test for pre-eclampsia other than the urine sample?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Blood pressure and urine are the basic ways to test for pre-eclampsia.

You say your BP is normal. Do you mind if I ask what it is?

Why are you so worried about this? Did you have it in a previous pregnancy?

Only one more week and you can be considered full term. If you are not having severe headaches, spots before your eyes, or dizziness, you should be okay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I risk it? [ 2 Answers ]

I tend to fall for a guy fairly easily if he's sweet to me, I know that must sound self-centred but I like to make people feel good about themselves so a guy who does the same I tend to fall for. This guy I have been friends with for 2yrs, we have always flirted but nothing ever happened until...

Risk factors [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I would like to ask you, if you know what risk factors should be considred when dealing with retirement plans such as 401k in particularly

View more questions Search