Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 08:37 AM
    Sydney's cheeks are swollen and red
    Hi everyone,

First let me say that I will be taking Sydney to the doctor today, sadly my family doctor
    Is out of town so I'll be taking her to a walk in clinic. I don't trust walk in clinics, I've
    Had bad experiences with them before.

I'm just looking for opinions, this came on so suddenly.

Symptoms;

Red, swollen, painful when touched cheeks. She doesn't have a "fever" but she is warmer than usual. She's eating, drinking and not at all lethargic, in fact, if it wasn't
    For the red swollen cheeks she'd be her normal happy healthy self.

Any ideas what this could be? I thought it was mumps, but that's usually accompanied by
    A fever and loss of appetite. I'm stumped.
    gmschofer Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Feb 17, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Hi Altenweg,

The one thing that comes to my mind is it could be a form of strep throat.

My daughter had that last year around this time, no sore throat, no fever, just red cheeks.

I took her in and two doctors looked at her and were a bit stumped and decided to do a throat culture and it came back positive for strep!

A friend of mine's daughter ended up with Scarlett Fever a month ago and she did not have a fever, just a rash.

I hope this helps and I hope Sydney feels better soon!
    Pets Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks GM.

We'll be taking her to the good walk in clinic, sadly it only opens at 7pm, so we have to wait.

It's a wonderful facility, I trust them, so it's worth the wait since my doctor is out of town.

So far she's feeling fine, but the cheeks are still swollen and red.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Sounds to me like "slapped cheek disease" or better known as Fifth Disease. Nothing to worry about actually, just a virus. Parvo B to be exact. Little J had it last spring.

Do you notice the redness get brighter when she is warm?
    Pets Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Sounds to me like "slapped cheek disease" or better known as Fifth Disease. Nothing to worry about actually, just a virus. Parvo B to be exact. Little J had it last spring.

Do you notice the redness get brighter when she is warm?
    Very much so J. She looks like a chipmunk storing food for the winter.

If it is fifth disease does she need meds? What can I do for her now? The clinic doesn't open for another 4 hours.
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 03:13 PM
    If it's Fifth disease you just have to wait it out. It's a virus. It can take as long as 6 months before you notice that the redness is gone. Steroids can help for swelling and/or itching, and here in the US that is by prescription.

Go to that clinic and be sure to mention this as a possibility as it is fairly uncommon, but does happen. My pediatrician hadn't seen it in 15 years until I went in with Little J.
    Pets Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 03:19 PM

Thanks J9. Six months? Wow!

Sydney is just starting to itch now so I put some cream on her face.

I'll take her to the clinic, mention fifth disease, hopefully it's just a rash and goes away quickly.

Poor little mite, I hate it when my kids are sick! :(

Thanks again J9, I'll let you know what happens. :)
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 03:21 PM
    If it's Fifth Disease, she was contagious BEFORE the rash appeared, no longer contagious now. Just be sure to keep her away from pregnant women if this is it.
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 03:21 PM
    My bad, 6 weeks, but Little J took almost 6 months before the red cheeks went away.
    Pets Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 03:26 PM

I looked it up, sounds exactly like Sydney. She's fine other than the rash but the itching is driving her a bit crazy.

Thanks so much J, I was so worried. After all, she's been vaccinated against mumps, measles, all the other usuals, even chicken pox, so I was stumped, especially because she seems perfectly healthy other than the rash.

I wonder how she picked it up. I'm just so glad it's not serious, but I'm still going to go to the doctor, just for confirmation and hopefully a cream to help with the itching.

Thanks so much J, you're a life saver! :)
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 04:48 AM
    Yes, Alty, please still go to the doctor. Remember, I cannot diagnose over the internet and I would hate to find out you did not go and it were something else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acne on the Cheeks [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Lately my face has been pretty clear, but about two weeks ago my face broke out horribly, only on my cheeks. My forehead and nose area are completely clear, but my jaw, cheeks, and chin are horrible. It's not just whiteheads, it's like huge red, painful bumps. They're so hard to cover and...

Bloody bump in cheeks [ 3 Answers ]

I had a bloody bump inside my cheeks that came out of no where. What is it!:mad:

Rash on cheeks [ 1 Answers ]

I have a red rash on both my cheeks it won't go away

Cheeks fat [ 1 Answers ]

My problem began when I started a diet combined with exercise program my aim was to bulk up because I was very scrawny.. after a hardwork of weight lifting and eating more calories than my body burns off I achieved my goal BUT... My cherubic face has gone! I got chubby cheeks now that was...

Baggy cheeks [ 1 Answers ]

My cheeks always look baggy close to my eyes. I don't have bags under my eyes. Does cucumber slices help to tighten these areas?

View more questions Search