Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljs22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 02:06 PM
    Honda Civic '97 - Error Codes?
    So I've read through the FAQ and all of that, but I do not see any spot to read error codes as was listed in the FAQ, which I assume was meant for the 88-91's. Anyway, my car was dead yesterday, low power/didn't turn over. Took my battery to Sears, the battery is good, which leads me to believe it is not the alternator, because if it was the baterry would most likely be dead from the car running off it. I replaced one of the connectors as it was rather corroded. I now have power, radio, etc... The car still will not turn however. Last time I tried it I got 3 loud clicks, but normally I just hear nothing every other time I try to start the car. Conversely, after every time I try to start the car the radio stations reset and the power kind of faulters, but when I bring it back to the Run position the power is fine again. Before I get the car brought somewhere, I wanted to try and read the error codes to see if I could pin-point the problem, however I cannot find where to read them from. Any help or insight would be great. I've been reading a lot, but I just don't know where to go from here.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 02:25 PM
    If the Civic won't crank, then the next thing you need to do is check under-hood and under-dash fuses, since you already checked the battery. Use a multimeter for speed, accuracy, and ensuring you don't replace a fuse in the wrong slot. The clicking sound is probably the starter solenoid. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and check the starter solenoid terminals for corossion. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I would reconnect the negative battery terminal and use a multimeter to check the starter solenoid for power. Solenoid replacement is an easy job; they can even be torn apart, cleaned, and reused in many cases. If you end up ruling out the solenoid, which I doubt, then I would focus on your alternator.
    ljs22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    If the Civic won't crank, then the next thing you need to do is check under-hood and under-dash fuses, since you already checked the battery. Use a multimeter for speed, accuracy, and ensuring you don't replace a fuse in the wrong slot. The clicking sound is probably the starter solenoid. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and check the starter solenoid terminals for corossion. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I would reconnect the negative battery terminal and use a multimeter to check the starter solenoid for power. Solenoid replacement is an easy job; they can even be torn apart, cleaned, and reused in many cases. If you end up ruling out the solenoid, which I doubt, then I would focus on your alternator.
    I actually just got done checking the fuses before I saw this. The fuses looked fine, both under the hood and under the dash. None of them looked cracked or anything. I do have a multimeter, though I have never used one before. When I check the solenoid how do I use the meter? Do I just hook it up to a wire on the solenoid? I appreciate your reply and insight!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2006, 08:15 PM
    If you have checked the starter/solenod connections and it does not crank, it would be easier for you to just replace it with a new or remanufactured unit. You should only use your multimeter and disassemble the unit, if you have a shop manual or Haynes manual to walk you through the steps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reading error codes on 92-95 Civics (OBD-I Hondas) [ 8 Answers ]

Here is the information you need to read error codes on 92-95 Civic and Del Sol (CRX). Those cars are OBD-I, so the same info should be usable for any other OBD-I Honda. I have not had interest in other Honda cars, so I don't know what year Accords and Preludes are OBD-I. Anyway, off to...

How do I display ECU codes on a 1993 Civic (5th gen)? [ 10 Answers ]

Can't seem to find that info on the net, only up to 91 (4th gen). Thanks, Phil

Honda Civic (2000) ECU CVT error [ 3 Answers ]

Service diagnostic of my Honda Civic (manufacturing year - 2000) ECU showed the error 30-1. It seems to be the CVT error. Does there anybody know, what this error means? Could it be because of old dirty oil in CVT? The car was driven over 80.000 km, and oil has never changed.

92-2000 honda civic engine I.D codes and hp [ 0 Answers ]

Many people have asked me what engine they have in there car.so this might help These are U.S. only 92-95 civic EX/SI D16Z6 1.6 16VSOHC VTEC PGM-FI 1590 125hp@6600rpm 106tq@5200rpm Dx /lx D15B7 1.5 16VSOHC PGM-FI 1493...

View more questions Search