Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elmerhelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 05:22 AM
    My wife is disabled and on SSI-how would 401K withdraws impact her rate?
    My wife is on Social Security and has been since 2001. At the time that she left her employer she had a loan of about $15,000 from her employer. The following year they just deducted it from her 401K account and never gave her the opportunity to repay it. Because of all her health problems she never returned to work. She has collected monies from Social SEcurity and her Long Term Disability Insurer which pays up to 65% of her salary at the time of her disability. Now social security is writing and inquiring into her claimed income over the years. She never returned to work, but did have this loan deducted from her 401K and added to her income for 2002. She also took a hardship withdrawl another year to pay for our daughter's college tuition. What will happen to her Social Security because of these withdrawals? All earnings were previous to her departure from work, and we were told by a tax accountant that she would not be penalized because she was totally disabled. Please advise because there is NO way she can return to work and if we lose her social security income, we will really have some financial problems. Elmer
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 17, 2009, 11:31 AM
    If you receive "substantial" income your disability benefits will be terminated. $15,000.00 would exceed that threshold. The $15,000.00 would have been income in the year it was deducted from your 401k. It is quite possible that you would not be eligible for disability benefits that year.

I suggest you go to the SSA office and explain what took place. Hopefully, they will not stop your benefits. If they do, you will be able to restart them. They may be able to do it retroactively. But in my opinion you need to visit the SSA and discuss the issue in person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Withdraws [ 3 Answers ]

I heard that Obama will waive the penalty for the 1st @10k withdrew from your 401k for 08 and 09? Is that true?

Congress allowing 401k withdraws [ 2 Answers ]

Do you know if Congress is seriosly considering allowing people to withdraw up to 15k from their 401k's without paying penalties. If so, would you suggest doing so and putting the money towards a 6.9 percent home mortgage? Thanks.dk

IRA or 401K withdraws at 65 [ 1 Answers ]

I turned 65 in August. I am still and will continue to work. I hope till I am at least 70. Now that I am 65 I would like to make a 6,000 deduction from one of my accounts. Is it better to make the withdraw from the 401K or my Ira accounts?

Garnishment/disabled wife [ 3 Answers ]

:eek: I have a summons for Regular Garnishment, in the state of Georgia. The first file date was 2000 JAN 15, the second file date was 10 JAN 2008. Is there a time limit on the file dates? They have put a lien on my bank account, I have a disabled wife at home and no money. Is there any way I can...

View more questions Search