Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shelesh Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Feb 16, 2009, 11:45 PM
    Validity of the Bible and sciences
    The discussion on the thread 'Can science and religion co-exist?' has gone out of the subject matter and was mainly on the validity of the Bible and Christianity. The discussion will now be held here. Everyone is invited to share... U may read the previous posts on the thread I mentioned above..
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 12:12 AM
    Shelesh,
    I BELIEVE that there is much validity in science and some not so If a scientist or scientists are attempting to demonstrate that there is now God or supreme universal intellect.
    Much of science is mere theory with much yet to be proven.
    I also believe that science has a long way to go to PROVE that life originated by accident.
    But I laso believe that some of what is called evolution has enough solid information to be accepted.
    That included the evolution of the stars and galaxies.
    Though there is much yet to be learned about that what has been observed and discovered along with interpretation makes enough sense to a layman such as I to believe it is valid.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred.
    samdarwen Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2009, 02:17 AM
    We all know that there is more than one way to see the same thing.. It's called mankind..
    So.. To answer you about your Validity between the Bible and science, I wouls say yes but... But what is it you believe in?
    In the Bible, like in other holy books, it talked and aknowladge science, and the Creature himself allowed us to learn and look, but always be aware of the fake Faith and the science.. We and our faith is a part of the new world, and a big part of today's science. Some just want to believe that we are not, because they fear themselves to be wrong, from the hereafter.. So.. I believe that the way you look at things is what detirmend the answer to your question.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 08:27 PM
    samdarwen, You are right.
    I does depend on how one looks at things.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Feb 20, 2009, 02:28 PM

Shelesh -

Yes, I think "religion" and science can (and do) co-exist. I'm writing from a Judeo-Christian perspective, so my "religion" in this case is such.

From my point of view, the reason my religious worldview can co-exist with science is because I do not see the two as being mutually exclusive. I see God as the sovereign creator of all reality and as such, governs the natural order and is the author of all reality... natural or spiritual. However, the term science may or may not be a clear term in of itself so it may need some proper defining if this discussion were to go further.

Science as I see it is merely a pragmatic process of discovery. Science by definition (scientia) is is the effort to discover and increase human understanding of how physical reality works. By this definition, science is simply discovery of the natural world. Well, in my view, if God were not willing to make physical reality discoverable, we would probably not be having this discussion. The connection between science and religion is one that I think just makes sense because sooner or later, while in the process of discovering how physical reality works, we have to come up against the question:

Where did all of this physical reality come from?

Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, and many others came to the conclusion that there must be a creator. To them, they saw the implications of their findings and they made the connection. Ultimately, in my estimation, science is just another vehicle that forces us to ask the question: is there or is there not a creator? Where we go when we reach that point is up to us.
    karma Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Feb 20, 2009, 02:45 PM
    I find this discussion very open-minded and wish I had met more people like those that have written here in my wanderings on this strange planet. I attend a Catholic University, although I am not Catholic nor any other denomination, and am majoring in Astrophysics. I have been told such things (not at this college mind you) that my love of science is a seed of evil. I always laughed at this comment, because I have heard it said to me many times. My physics professor, who has a doctorate in physics and another in Philosophy, helped enighten me in the ways science can actually prove the existence of some form of God. I must say, attending a Physics class in a Catholic college with my professor being a devout Catholic herself has placed me in the middle of science and religion and the belief that they not only co-exist, but facilitate each other. For us to believe we are truly supreme beings, the advances in science have helped to further that belief and even aid in our becoming more "God-like" I myself believe on ly in as I like to put it, the great architect. Above and beyond that, who really knows. Our minds are too primitive to understand the complexities of our world, let alone the one who made us.
    Teresina
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:11 PM
    Karma,
    Thanks for your post on that.
    It is very interesting.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:36 PM

Yes, science and Christianity can co-exist. As a person with a background in science, and as a Christian, I can tell you that I find absolutely no conflict between the Bible and science.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:48 PM
    Tj3,
    Then you have changed your belief that the universe is not billions of years old as modern science and observation indicate to be so.
    Is that correct.
    Just wondering.
    Fred
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    Tj3,
    Then you have changed your belief that the universe is not billions of years old as modern science and observation indicate to be so.
    Fred,

Please do not twist my words. There are debates within the scientific community and science does not contradict a young universe.

"The latest data differ by so much from what theory would suggest as to kill the big bang cosmologies. But now, because the scientific world is emotionally attracted to the big-bang cosmologies, the data are ignored."
    (Source: Fred Hoyle, "The Big Bang in Astronomy", New Scientist, Vol.92, No.1280 (Nov 19.1981),pp.522-523)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 09:20 PM

Closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Math& sciences [ 1 Answers ]

circle the fraction with the highest value 3/10 3/12 3/8

Math and sciences [ 1 Answers ]