Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConfusedMother9 Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Apr 8, 2009, 11:24 AM

Okay, so my brother has met with a few different lawyers. Price-wise, they are all about the same. So we were wondering with this case, what should the lawyer propose to do? Each lawyer has a different idea on how to proceed. My brother dowsn't know any of the legal stuff & obviously, I'm not too sharp on it either or I wouldn't always be asking you wonderful guys!

We're just trying to get an idea of what should happen before he chooses a lawyer. He doesn't need to go back down the same path as he did with the last lawyer!

Any advice would be appreciated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 02:23 PM

My advice - and I work with any number of lawyers in any number of law firms - ?

Pick the one you are most comfortable with, have the best relationship with and go with that one.

That assumes experience (and cost, of course) are equal or close to equal.

Apr 9, 2009, 01:10 PM

Well that was every1's advice with his first lawyer & he really liked his first lawyer. She was easy to talk to, made him feel real confident about the situation then did nothing to help him out.

He has 1 lawyer who says he should go ahead & file for visitation & child support then deal with any hurdles he has to face. ( I agrred with this 1 but his last lawyer acted as if this couldn't be done!)
    Another lawyer suggests he(the lawyer) try to work out a deal with theirs and avoid court. I doubt the mother will go for this!
    And another says to prepare the case but wait until the mother takes him to court.

Honestly, out of these 3 plans, which do you think would be the best?
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 01:13 PM

If an Attorney collected fees and did nothing, then that Attorney should be reported to the Bar Association. Yes, it's drastic but the client should be informed about how/why the case was handled.

I think attempting to work out a deal - from what you have posted - is a waste of time and money.

Personally, because I'm not good at waiting around for something would happen, I would go with the Attorney who says to file now and deal with things as they occur.

Apr 9, 2009, 02:17 PM

Thanks guys! I agree that wasting money bargaining with the mother's lawyer would be a waste of time. My brother's just so skeptical & discouraged about everything at this point.
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 02:19 PM

I understand why he feels this way - that's why the proactive Attorney is better than the "reactive" Attorney.

Apr 9, 2009, 02:20 PM

Oh & his last lawyer always claimed to be waiting on the mother's lawyer to get back in touch with her. (She says she called & left messages,etc.) She blamed it on the mother's lawyer for stalling but it is myunderstanding now that the mother really has no part in the father filing for visitation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminated parental rights/adoption [ 10 Answers ]

I need some advice or direction in regards to my parental rights being terminated and my daughter being adopted. Do I have any rights? What can I do? Is there any hope? I miss my daughter. Please help me

Relinquishing parental rights after adoption. [ 3 Answers ]

I adopted 2 children in 2001 after I married their mother in 1999. They are 13 and 15. I have since divorced their mother after I caught her cheating with other men. She has been with and moved in many other men since. She is also recently remarried. She has made statements that she only allowed...

Parental rights/adoption [ 5 Answers ]

I have a son on the way and the father wants nothing to do with my child. He has asked several times for a document to waive his rights. I am still deciding whether I need to press him for child support. If he waives his rights does that mean he is not eligible to pay child support? Also, if I...

Parental Rights and Adoption [ 1 Answers ]

I am a mother of an 8 year old daughter in Maryland and I need some advice about her father and my fiancé. My ex-husband, my daughter's father, has not had much contact with her since 2002. He abandon her for a year and a half. He never called her and no one could find him to serve him for child...

Relinquishing parental rights adoption [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We got divorced 4 years ago and I always paid child support on time. My ex got married and I got laid off from work after a few months later... I couldn't find a job and decided to go school instead of wasting time. In the best interest of our child I, my ex and her new husband agreed to allow...

View more questions Search