Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sexymoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Filing my state return separate from my husband
    I have had several problems each year on filing my state taxes. My husband is a resident of Georgia and I am currently in the military but I pay Arkansas state taxes. We file a joint return. What I would like to know is when I file my state taxes do I have to use his income and vise versa even though we filed our federal taxes together. Every time I do this and put his income and his social security number on my state taxes there is always a problem because they think my husband is the one from Arkansas. Is their something I can do?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 12:47 AM

If your husband is resident of Georgia, then on the Arkansas tax return he is nonresident and has 0 Arkansas income. If you are resident of Arkansas, you are resident of Arkansas and will report your income.

Use same approach for Georgia.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married Filing Federal Joint State Separate [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married in Sept 2007, I work in NY and my wife works in NJ. We both presently live in NY. Before we were married my wife lived in NJ. I want to file my federal return jointly and my NY and NJ State return separate because of an increase in the return. Is that possible?

Late filing for New York state return with refund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert! We are filing a state tax return in New York but still awaiting for my ITIN. We have a refund. I checked the NY website it says there that we shoud file an extension even though we don't owe any tax. Since we were not able to apply for an extension before the filing due date,...

Community Property when filing joint state return [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing CA state return and a little confused with Community Property Laws and when these apply. I am filing a joint return with my spouse and she is not CA resident (but I am) but lives in another community property state. Does it mean that 50% of her income is still CA taxable because of the...

Filing status different for Federal return and State return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State? I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together. For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states....

More details about filing state tax return for NJ resident working in NY [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for the answer from Delite. However, I am a little confused. Should I have to pay both NJ and NY taxes? Confusius

View more questions Search