Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RachelandChris Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2009, 03:09 PM
    I got a abortion yesterday. What can I do?
    Ok. I am sixteen. And yesterday morning I got a abortion. Please don't judge me. Anyway I was wondering what can I do? I mean like physically with my boyfriend and like exercise like? Please answer, I don't want to put my health at risk for doing something that I'm not supposed to do after a abortion. I had a surgical abortion. If that helps anyone to answer this question.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2009, 03:12 PM

Well first, I would hope you learne3d a lesson from this. You should not be having sexual intercourse with anyone until you are physically, emotionally and financially ready to have a baby.

As for what activities you can engage in after the surgery, didn't the surgeon or docotor who performed the procedure give you a set of instructions? They are supposed to. If not, call the office and ask.

Feb 16, 2009, 03:14 PM

Well they did give me instructions, but I didn't listen. And I can't call them because they are closed. Anyway I just want to know what I can't do
    cherriebomb Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2009, 03:14 PM

I would take it easy for a week or two, you willl likely be spotting now and then but do not be alarmed, this is normal. I wouldn't recomment having sex for the next two week either as your body is very fertile at this moment. It is normal for your body to still feel the symptoms of pregnancy for up to six weeks, so that might keep you from feeling "normal". Try not to lift anything over 15 lbs over two weeks and make sure you take your antibiotics! Nothing strenuous...

Feb 16, 2009, 03:16 PM

Thank you cherriebomb. That really helped. Umm anything else?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 03:16 PM

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. Usually you would have been given information handouts that recommend waiting a couple of weeks before resuming intercourse. Do not use tampons until either any bleeding has stopped or if the doctor suggested waiting until you have a follow-up visit. You can exercise after a week or so, but take it easy on anything too strenuous. Listen to your body, and check with the doctor if you feel things are not healing as quickly as they should.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelandChris View Post
    Ok. I am sixteen. And yesterday morning I got a abortion. Please don't judge me. Anyway I was wondering what can I do? I mean like physically with my boyfriend and like exercise like? Please answer, I don't want to put my health at risk for doing something that I'm not supposed to do after a abortion. I had a surgical abortion. If that helps anyone to answer this question.
    You are not to have sex or have anything in the vagina for the next 2-4 weeks. I would also like to note that unless you have birth control in place you should not be having sex as well.

It is depressing to note that your only concern through this is when can your boyfriend and you get active again. Have you sought out any counseling for the issues related to having an abortion?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Just wanted to add... obviously, as ScottGem mentioned... do be better prepared in the future. I know things happen that aren't planned, so be sure to do all that you can to decrease the odds. Some find it helpful to use two forms of birth control... the pill and condoms for example. Wish you well.

Feb 16, 2009, 03:21 PM

DoulaLC- Thank you so much. I think I got it.

Feb 16, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    You are not to have sex or have anything in the vagina for the next 2-4 weeks. I would also like to note that unless you have birth control in place you should not be having sex as well.

It is depressing to note that your only concern through this is when can your boyfriend and you get active again. Have you sought out any counseling for the issues related to having an abortion?
    No No No, I was just asking you guys. I don't want to be active like that again for a long time. I wanted to know everything that I couldn't do.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 03:24 PM

I think everyone said everything that needed to be said. I understand where you are. One thing I would suggest is talking to a counselor. It really helps. I know there must be a lot of built up sadness, anger, relief, lots of emotions. Talk to someone about it. Make sure to take any meds they've given you... and ibuprofen rocks!

Feb 16, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Just wanted to add.....obviously, as ScottGem mentioned....do be better prepared in the future. I know things happen that aren't planned, so be sure to do all that you can to decrease the odds. Some find it helpful to use two forms of birth control....the pill and condoms for example. Wish you well.
    Yes Yes, I was on birth control and ran out, that's probably how I got pregnant, and yes 95% of the time we do use condoms. But trust me I won't be doing anything active for a while.

Feb 16, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I think everyone said everything that needed to be said. I understand where you are. One thing I would suggest is talking to a counselor. It really helps. I know there must be a lot of built up sadness, anger, relief, lots of emotions. Talk to someone about it. Make sure to take any meds they've given you...and ibuprofen rocks!!
    Yeah, I will probably do that. I do have a lot of feelings built up inside
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelandChris View Post
    No No No, I was just asking you guys. I don't want to be active like that again for a long time. I wanted to know everything that I couldn't do.
    I apologize. Good luck to you and your recovery.

Feb 16, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    I apologize. Good luck to you and your recovery.
    It's OK. I understand. Thank you.
    Vision Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 03:37 PM

There are solutions to running out of birth control. A lot of places you can order it online through planned parenthood, you can call it in to a pharmacy and have it waiting for you BEFORE you run out. You can get a few months at a time. I'm sure you've learned from this mistake. There's also a pill called Plan B that works as a late birth control in case you missed a pill or two and are worried.

Feb 16, 2009, 03:40 PM

Yeah, But where I live you can't get Plan B unless your 18 for over the counter, if your under 18 then you have to go to the doctor and get a prescription
    Vision Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 03:41 PM

Yes... So why wouldn't you be able to go to the doctor and get it? Would it be better to have a child or abortion?

Feb 16, 2009, 03:43 PM

Too scared to tell my parents. In the end my boyfriend told them *thank god* It would be better to have a child. I didn't want to get an abortion, I guess I got caught up in the moment
    Vision Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 03:47 PM

You can go to planned parenthood and get a prescription without your parents. If you didn't want an abortion, you shouldn't have done it. Don't let other people dictate your life. I think the best thing for you would be to talk to a counselor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Here's my magical yesterday [ 6 Answers ]

Sunday, 8 June 08: My son woke and wanted to go to breakfast since we were both up and the ladies were still sleeping. I told him that I was trying to get some of the laundry done, folded and almost put away (I'm a guy and by my genetics I am limited to not completing some tasks. I can't or...

I got my bfp yesterday now I have a lot of questions [ 4 Answers ]

I confirmed it four times and I now have four bfps so its safe to say I am pregnant. I can't go to the doctor until next week. So till then what can I eat and can't eat also what's the best vitamins I can get till I see my doctor? Or should I just wait it out on the vitamins till I see the doctor?

View more questions Search