Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Hot water heater constantly drains water
    Hello, my Rheem hot water heater is about 10 years old and works fine. However, I have noticed it is consistently dripping water into my sump pump. Seems to come out from the cold water inlet pipe. Is this normal or is something wrong; I hate to see my water bill go up. Thanks.

jog
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 02:59 PM
    If water is coming from the cold water pipe fix the leak if you can if not call a plumber. Usually water drips from the safety pressure device when it is defective or the water pressure is to high.
    jog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 04:37 PM

How do I fix this leak, without calling a plumber?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 05:48 PM
    Post some pictures and post them here so we can see exactly what the leak looks like and figure out the best way to fix it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 06:49 PM

Can I assume your cold inlet is on top like most, right? Do you see water leaking right at that connection on top or just see water dripping out the bottom of the heater?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 05:34 AM
    Jog...

Double check to be sure that the Temperature and Pressure relief valve (see pictures) is not the culprit here... ok?

If you have a pipe running from your water heater to a sump pump then the only thing that makes sense is that it must be from the T&P valve.

If this is the case, you need to shut the water off to the heater, open the hot water faucets to drain off pressure, drain about 5 gallons of water from the drain at the water heater itself (bottom front) and then remove the old T&P valve and replace with a new T&P valve. If you have to cut the 3/4" pipe, cut it with a hacksaw and when purchasing the new T&P valve, purchase a 3/4" push-type sharkbite coupling (gatorgrip is another kind), too.

Here, you'll wrap 5-6 wraps of teflon tape CLOCKWISE around the t&P valve and install tight. Then install the threaded adapter that came out of the old T&P valve and then join the copper pipe by pushing the coupling onto one end and pushing the pipe into the other end of the sharkbite coupling and hopefully you're all set here.

Finally, refill the water heater, purge all hot water lines of air.

If this is not the case, then let us know more here...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Water heater constantly running [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed that the water sounded like it was always heating, and this morning I realized that the water meter was spinning like crazy. I believe the water heater may be gone. Does anyone have any idea, or ever experienced this problem?

Exhaust Fan Constantly Blowing on Propane Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have noticed that the exhaust fan constantly blows on my State Select Propane Water Heater. Is this normal, or should it only come on when the water heater is actually heating? Thanks,

Water Heater Vent Fan runs constantly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 75 Gallon Natural Gas State Select Water Heater. Model # PR675NRVTZ. It has a fan on top that vents the gas to the outside. Normally, this fan only runs when the water is being heated. Now, the fan runs constantly eben when the water is not being heated. I do not have the wiring diagram,...

View more questions Search