Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vickster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Rental Security Deposits in PA
    Hello,
    I need to know if it is a PA state law that a landlord deposits your security deposit into an interest bearing bank account?
    I asked my landlord about depositing my security ($750.00) into a bank account and he told me that he opted not to do that and that he used my security money on other things. I am starting my third year lease and I would like the facts before I confront him again on this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Vickie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2006, 10:20 AM
    At the top of this forum is a "sticky" post that has links to applicable laws in various areas.

A quick perusal of that found this:

http://members.aol.com/StatutesPA/68PA250.511b.html

Seems your landlord is in trouble.
    brooks Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2006, 09:14 PM
    Your landlord is right, he can opt not to pay you interest on the deposit for the first two years. He is required to put any SD over 100.00 in an interest bearing account at the beginning of the third year and give you the interest accrued minus 1% at the end of the third year.

Aug 17, 2006, 06:07 AM
    According to the statute cited, Any security depoit in excess of $100 needs to be "deposited in an escrow account of an institution regulated by the Federal Reserve Board, the Federal Home Loan Bank Board, Comptroller of the Currency, or the Pennsylvania Department of Banking". The account does not have to be interest bearing (the point that I missed), but it does have to be deposited. For your landlord to not only NOT deposit the funcds, but to actually use them certainly seems to violate the letter and spirit of the statute cited.
    brooks Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2006, 09:44 AM
    Amount of Security Deposits. Pennsylvania law regulates the amount of money a landlord may collect as a security deposit. Sometimes landlords will collect more money from you by requiring that you pay the first month's rent, the last month's rent, or both, in advance, as well as giving them a security deposit.
    According to Pennsylvania law:
    During the first year of the lease, the landlord can charge no more than two month's rent as a security deposit.
    During the second year of the lease, the landlord can charge no more than one month's rent as a security deposit. Any amount in excess of one month's rent must be returned to you.
    During the third year of the lease, if your security deposit is over $100, the landlord must deposit it into an interest-bearing bank account and must inform you of the name and address of the bank where the account is located. At the end of the third year, the landlord must give you the interest earned on the account, minus a 1% handling charge.
    http://www.cmu.edu/policies/Landlord...t/security.htm

http://www.clsphila.org/housing-security_deposits.htm

Aug 17, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Ok, I went back over this and I see now what you are seeing. Section 250.511b. Is entitled Interest On Escrow Funds Held More Than Two Years. Therefore, it would appear that it refers only when the lease has exceeded two years. Like many laws, this one seem to have been written pretty poorly.

The spirit of the law seems to be that funds over $100 must be deposited in an approved escrow account. But the letter of the statute can be interpreted that this only has to be done after two years.

However, since Vickie stated that she is now entering her third year on the lease, the landlord would be required to now place the deposit into an interest bearing account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial Rental Property Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

If Your Commercial Property Deposit Is Not Refunded Within 30 Days Of Vacating The Premises What Is The Amount You Can Sue The Landlord For In Court? For Residential It Is Treble The Deposit What Is It For Commercial In Colorado?

Security deposits [ 1 Answers ]

In Florida (broward county) do landlords have to put the security deposits in escrow accounts?

Question re:roommates and security deposits [ 5 Answers ]

My roommate gave me a 2 1/2 week, verbal notice of leaving the apartment, and now is demanding her share of the security deposit on the last day of this month (both of our names are on the lease, which is month-to-month). My question is: does the 30 day rule for landlords apply to me? Is she...

Security Deposits [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question.. state is New Hampshire. Does anyone know if a security deposit ( by law) should be put into an account?I am aware that a unit of 6 or more is required an account,I want to know if it applies for a 2 unit also.

Security Deposits [ 5 Answers ]

If a Rental Property changes ownership is the repsonsibility of the New owner to get Security Deposits paid by the Tenants that already occupy apartments in building? The management company of the new owner of my building is telling me I will have to track down the previous owner to try and get my...

View more questions Search