Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dodilee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Judgement for debt a surprise
    Hi,

Last week, When I checked our bank account online I saw a "judgement" against us and $1358 was removed from our account. After countless calls we found out that a creditor received a notice of levy and was able to take all the money in our checking account.
    We received a sheriffs notice of levy in the mail the next day. The notice was done in a California court (we moved from California more than 20 months ago) and we did not receive anything that told us that this was happening.
    My husband called and was told they didn't need to notify us and when he asked what the debt was for they said it was from an account opened in 1993 and it is an account we don't even know if it is ours.
    We have looked on line but are so confused and now have NSF check fees because they took all of our money!
    Any direction or help is appreciated.

Thank you!
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Feb 16, 2009, 01:33 PM

Hello D

Once a judgement has been entered it gives the creditor access to your accounts and if your state allows wage garnishment and no they do not have to notify you in advance of "freezing" your accounts,now with that being said you stated you are not sure if the account was yours. The paper work at the bank should have a number that you can call and you should be able to find out the orignial creditor that got the judgement
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2009, 01:44 PM

Your first step is to contact the court that issued the writ of attachment and make a Motion to Vacate the judgement on grounds of improper service.

Its possible the money hasn't been turned over to the creditor yet Generally, the bank has to freeze the amount giving you time to react.

A hearing should be ordered by the court to determine if proper service was entered. If it wasn't you can get the writ rescinded. You will be properly served before you leave the court, but at least that will give you a chance to fight the suit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement for Debt [ 4 Answers ]

In 2004 my salary was garnished for an $8800.00 judgement. According to my employers records as of May, 2007, I only owed $27.00, which we sent in. The collection agency said that I still owed $1500.00 interest, and my employer refused to send any more funds because the judgement amount only...

Debt Judgement [ 3 Answers ]

A law firm representing a bank took my account to court in 2003. The amount on the summons is lower than what the law firm indicates that I owe. I have offered several times to settle, but they keep asking for a higher amount. I have paid on this for 4 years. Do I owe what is on the summons, or...

Debt Judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I was served papers yesterday but not for court but in regards to my debt. I tried to settle for the balance I owed minus all these fee's and they refuse to settle. They are now going to place a judgement. Would it be easier to pay the total balance and not try to settle. They say it is past...

Judgement for debt I do not owe [ 2 Answers ]

About 9 1/2 years ago I moved from one town to another, and filed change of address forms with all necessary debtors, twice to be certain. One debtor, a credit card company, did not note or make the change, and I did not receive a bill from them for 2 months (I called to ask for it) after I moved....

What do I do about this debt judgement? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok... I'll try to sum this as best I can. A credit card company that I owed an original debt was given to a law firm to collect the debt. The firm claimed it was 3000 or so, and I received letters and then a judgement and so I paid a partial amount on the debt 6 months ago of 980. I didn't...

View more questions Search