Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Change back from video
    Somehow I managed to switch my Canon Powershot A40 from taking photographs to take video and I can't figure out how to change it back!

Anyone know? (I can't find the instruction book - !)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 10:13 AM

Ummm... did you mean Canon Powershot? :)

Here's the info page, including a link for the owner manual:

Digital Cameras - High-End, Advanced Digital Cameras - Performance and Style, Digital ELPH Cameras - Easy and Fun! A-Series Digital Cameras - E-Series Digital Cameras - PowerShot A40 - Canon USA Consumer Products

(If I'm not mistaken, it will be a matter of turning the wheel from the video setting to the picture setting. There is probably one video setting and all the rest are picture settings. Look for the wheel settings that look like a face or a mountain.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Like Rick says, on the back there is a wheel. Click it from the camera on tripod icon to the Green "Auto" setting.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 10:16 AM

(on some models the wheel is on the top of the camera)
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    (on some models the wheel is on the top of the camera)
    I found a picture of her exact model. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ershot_A40.jpg
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Ummm...did you mean Canon Powershot? :).

Yes, the camera, not the yogurt. (I don't need spell check. I need "what are you talking about" check.)

Yes, that is the same camera, same "controls." It IS on auto; I've tried it on P and M. It continues to be in video mode.

I can't find a little dial. I'm supposed to work tomorrow and use this camera - at this rate I'll be drawing stick figures instead of providing photos!

Side note - Up to now I've thought if/when I ever date again I would limit myself to hairdressers, auto mechanics and computer repair people. I am now opening the field to include camera repair persons and possibly plumbers.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 11:03 AM
    If it has 2 flavours you do not need to stir them but some prefer the flavour after stirring - that is not in the operating guide for the yogurt.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 11:20 AM
    :D:p:p
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Feb 16, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Somehow I managed to switch my Canon Powershot A40 from taking photographs to take video and I can't figure out how to change it back!

Anyone know? (I can't find the instruction book - !)
    If nothing else works, try taking out both batteries to reset the camera. By "both" I mean the primary battery, and also the "clock" battery which is hidden in the side of the main battery compartment. Refer to the user guide that someone else posted if you need help finding this second battery - it is a thin round battery often used in watches. Wait 30 seconds, then put the clock battery back in, then put the regular batteries back in. Before you close the battery door (which will restore power to the camera) make sure the dial is on the green arrow, not the video camera mode.

If the software in the camera got set into some strange mode that doesn't change back to the regular shooting mode, this should reset it and allow it to startup in the regular shooting mode again.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 11:30 AM
    Sorry jc, that wouldn't work since it's a mechanical knob that she has to click over. Take a look at my answers and at the image I posted.

Feb 16, 2009, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Sorry jc, that wouldn't work since it's a mechanical knob that she has to click over. Take a look at my answers and at the image I posted.
    My thought is that for some reason the camera is not reading when she moves the knob. (That it is damaged in some way.) But, if she can reset the software by removing both batteries then when it starts up it will correctly read the knob setting and start up in the green arrow mode.

This was "if nothing else works" and "it can't hurt to try" type of answer, a last ditch try before sending it in for repair (if it's under warranty) or buying a new camera.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 11:43 AM
    My apologies jcdill, I just reread her response and she mentioned that it was already on Auto. Sorry mate I was a little quick on the draw. :)

Feb 16, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    My apologies jcdill, I just reread her response and she mentioned that it was already on Auto. Sorry mate I was a little quick on the draw. :)
    No problem NeedKarma - It gave me an opportunity to further explain what my answer was trying to accomplish. :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will he change his mind & want me back? [ 9 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend had been going out for nearly 8 months. We had a really strong, happy relationship, and nothing was going wrongly. Over the last month, we've had a couple of arguments, and when I look back at one of them, it was hardly an argument. But last week he ended it with me, suddenly. ...

Searching for back surgery video(s) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was recently informed by my orthopedist that I would need back surgery to remove my L4-5 disk, place in a "cage," and fuse the two lumbar. Also, my surgeon would use rods & screws to secure the fusion site. They said that first he'd go on my side and remove the disk, then come in...

I got a Divorce. Did my name change back? [ 3 Answers ]

A very close friend of mine was recently divorced and she doesn't know if her last name has returned to her maiden name. Is there anyway to find this information out? Thank you, Beau

Is there a way to burn video or data to a CD, stop; and come back at a later date and [ 1 Answers ]

I have a huge series of videos I need to download from the internet and burn to CD and/or DVD. It will require quite a few sessions to finish it all. Is it possible to stop and return at a later time to continue adding more to the CD or DVD?

View more questions Search