Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uscboy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 10:03 AM
    Claiming a visitor visa holder (B2) as dependent for taxes.
    My father visited the US two times in 2008 on B2 (visitor visa) amounting his total stay to more then 180 days. I am the sponsor (I-134) for his visits.
    Can get a ITIN for him by filing the W7. I am currently a H1B visa holder and filing as married jointly with my wife who is also a H1B holder. I file 1040 so I am resident alien for tax purposes.

If I can file;
    1) What option do I have choose as reason for filing W7? ; "Dependent of US Citizen/Resident Alien" OR "Dependent of a non-resident alien holding US Visa"
    2) Will I file W7 with my 1040? Or before that?

Thank you in advance.

Uscboy
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 02:21 AM

Even if your father has completed SPT, he becomes Dual Status. IRS may reject the ITIN application.
    Normally, you attach W7 (ITIN application) with your tax return. You are resident alien.

Feb 17, 2009, 07:10 AM
    Dear MukatA,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. As it looks uncertain whether I may be able to claim him as dependent or not, I better not apply for his ITIN and jeopardize his or my visa status.

Thank you for clarifying

Uscboy

Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    Even if your father has completed SPT, he becomes Dual Status. IRS may reject the ITIN application.
    Normally, you attach W7 (ITIN application) with your tax return. You are resident alien.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 10:34 AM
    In my opinion, you can and should claim hm as a dependent, because, IF you provided more than half of his total support, you have met the critieria for claiming him under IRS regulations.

The worst that could happen is that the IRS refuses to issue him an ITIN.

There will be NO adverse effects on either your or his visa.

Mar 13, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    IMHO, you can and should claim hm as a dependent, because, IF you provided more than half of his total support, you have met the critieria for claiming him under IRS regulations.

The worst that could happen is that the IRS refuses to issue him an ITIN.

There will be NO adverse effects on either your or his visa.
    Dear AtlantaTaxExpert, thank you for your reply. I had already filed the taxes and did not apply for my father's ITIN. But probably will do it next year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. Can I claim her as a Dependent while filing for the tax return. Do I have to apply for ITIN? Please explain the procedure. Thanks

Dependent filling on Visitor visa [ 3 Answers ]

My dad got 10 years multiple visas. He had here previously. But this time he will be staying 6 months in 2007 year. Can I able claim him as dependent on tax file. If it yes then How? Should I apply for W7 now since he is here with me or should I apply during the tax filling next year ? . Advice...

Dependent tax exemption for L1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US in oct 2006 on L1 visa. My wife and son came in Dec. I started paying for their medical insurance since oct. Now I have received my W2 form. Can I claim my wife and son as dependents to get the tax benefit. I assume I need to file 1040NR form filing jointly with wife. Which...

View more questions Search