Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vbva1952 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Career change
    What do I say when I am asked why do I want a career change? I am trained in one field but I want to get into a different field and I don't know how to answer that question.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Feb 16, 2009, 09:38 AM

You always remain positive in an interview. Instead of saying you don't want to continue in the field you're in now, you would say something along the lines of "I'd like to position that would better suite my training and abilities." That way, you're not inferring that you're unhappy with your current employer, or that you're looking for something better. Just for something that you would be more suited for.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2009, 07:40 AM
    My approach is basically the following (to change from marketing to work as a paralegal):

At the time that I began my career, paralegal work was just emerging as a profession, and I suppose it did not capture my interest at that time because it was not very well defined or understood and there were not very defined qualifications for the position. I was on a college track, and seeking a profession where writing skills were well appreciated, and the hot field at the time was public relations and marketing communication, so I set that path for myself.

In the years since, I've enjoyed my career a great deal, but I also have developed a great interest in law and legal issues. I was ready to take the next step in developing further personally and in my career, and when I looked again at paralegal work, I found that it is now a highly professional and organized career, and that all of my skills are directly relevant to the work. I had the opportunity and interest to go back to school, and it all just fell together for me. I've earned straight As in the program, enjoy it tremendously, and am very eager to continue forward with my plans and land that first job in a law firm.

My hope is that I will find employment in a situation where my former experiences are valued, and where I can also continue to develop as a new paralegal. I can offer the best of both worlds - years of managing projects and deadlines, and generally learning how to function well in a work environment; plus, I have very current education and skills as a paralegal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need career change [ 4 Answers ]

I am a Chiropractor & I do have BS degree in Human Biology. I would like to change my job. I don't like to do marketing. I am a female chiropractor with kids and running an office is taking a lot of time. If I get sick, I have to find replacement right away... & Lots of other problems... I...

Career change [ 2 Answers ]

Would anyone have any good ideas for starting a new career at age 47? I've been a laborer in factories until now. I'm too worn out for so much physical labor that production workers put out.(if you're a worker that is), and sick and tired of not being appreciated for my hard work. I need some...

I need a career change [ 1 Answers ]

At the moment I'm working as a receptionist and now I'm bored and I need something that motivates me. Please help me out.

View more questions Search