Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrf111 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 07:18 AM
    Access 192.168.1.1
    Hope you can help... according to xbox I need to access my router to rename the ports so my xbox 360 will connect to the internet. I have powerd up the modem and the router and that didn't work
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 25, 2009, 09:49 PM
    I don't have an XBox360 so I don't know if you can access the router directly from the XBox or not. So, the following will assume you need a computer and a web browser to access the router. If not, then the XBox itself could be configured with the same IP settings.

If the router's default LAN subnet is 192.168.1.0/24 and the router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 as you alluded, the computer's network adapter must be configured to be a member of the same network for the router to be accessible. The router can then be accessed at the 192.168.1.1 address entered into a web browser. To do this, the Internet Protocol Properties for the wired or wireless network connection (however your computer connects to the router) must be configured with an IP address on the router's network, for example 192.168.1.2, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1 (the router). For Windows, configuring IP settings is done through the Control Panel > Network Connections > [Specific Connection] Properties > Internet Protocol Properties or similar.

What router do you have? Not all routers use 192.168.1.1 as a default address. Also, the router may have DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) enabled, in which case the computer should automatically get all the necessary IP configuration. Issuing an "IPCONFIG /ALL" command at a command prompt window will show if any network adapters already have a 192.168.1.x address. If so, no further manual configuration should be required, just access the router by entering 192.168.1.1 in a web browser window.

Clear as mud? Post back if so, as it may sound more complicated than it actually is.

Feb 26, 2009, 02:23 AM

Scleros, thanks for your help.. my computer works through the router in all ports (tried this to see is router works) before I sent the xbox in for repairs the old unit worked fine (as far as logging in) xbox sent me a new unit and this is where the trouble started. Now they tell me I have to call cysco ( linksys) to have them appoint new port numbers, cysco tells me to go to 192.168.1 and that is where I have trouble again... I went to ipconfig and I have 71.176.164.112 as a default gateway should I change the setting to match what you stated in your answer? Thanks again for your help and I will try this in the mine time. Hope to hear from you soon... roger
    Hardware Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrf111 View Post
    i went to ipconfig and i have 71.176.164.112 as a default gateway...
    The 71.176... address is a publicly routable address. This seems to indicate your local private lan subnet is not using the private 192.168... addressing, an atypical situation. Please post the entire output of an "ipconfig /all" command.

Also try entering 71.176.164.112 into a browser and see if you get the router's administrative interface.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2009, 10:15 AM

How are you "going" to 192.168.1.1? You should be entering this in your browser address bar.

Feb 26, 2009, 02:09 PM

Scleros, thanks again, I tried 71.176... in the address bar, and it came up with can not display the web page... oh well my luck..
    As far as the infor you are looking for...
    ION... dns server is 192.168.1.1
    PPP adapter verizon... ip address: 71.176.167.201... subnet mask:
    255.255.255.255... default gateway: 71.176.167.201... dns severs: 71.252.0.12 & 71.242.0.12
    Hardware Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Ok, something doesn't jive. Please describe your Internet connection and the make and model numbers of the router and any modems and how they are connected.

PPP adapters are usually associated with dialup type connections (analog modem) or used when the computer is directly connected to a DSL or cable modem without a router in between (in which case the computer is sitting out there on the Internet for anyone to hack at, not recommended). The common 192.168... modem+router scenario shown below that Cisco was referring to consists of a DSL or cable modem terminating the phone line or cable drop. A router is then connected to the modem from the router's WAN interface. Computers or other devices are then connected to the LAN ports of the router. This doesn't sound like what you have if the computer has a single PPP adapter and a public IP address. The modem only scenario better matches your description so far.
    Attached Images

Mar 1, 2009, 02:40 AM

Scleros.. sorry I didn't get back to you earlyer.. I have an old modem and I guess it is dial up but it is a dsl through verizon.. westell is the model.. verizon said I could up grade but this would work fine it's just automatic... this thing about hacking has brought up a red flag in my thoughts though. Can you tell me more on this and how I can prevent it, as far as connecting the xbox, I wrote them a letter about sending the unit back and they make the unit compatible with my system, it is frustrating having to deal with such idiots
    Hardware Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 04:40 AM
    westell is the model.. verizon said i could up grade but this would work fine it's just automatic ... this thing about hacking has brought up a red flag in my thoughts though. can you tell me more on this and how i can prevent it...
    The Westells can be both a modem or a modem/router depending on the particular model you received. If it is a modem only or a modem/router not configured for routing, your computer has nothing between it and the Internet and is assigned a public IP address. In this case, if the computer is not running a software firewall, it is freely accessible to anyone who cares to scan the computer's IP address for open ports with a port scanner. Once an open port is found other automated tools can be used to search for known vulnerabilities. Microsoft software has LOTS of known vulnerabilities. Microsoft issues patches the second Tuesday of each month via their Windows Update site to correct these vulnerabilities. Many of the vulnerabilities allow someone to execute code of their choice on YOUR computer merely by sending to the computer a specially crafted packet designed to exploit the unpatched vulnerability. Even if the computer is regularly patched, allowing anyone the privilege of poking at it all day long is considered bad practice. So, either a software firewall is installed to prevent unfettered access to the computer (better), or a hardware device is placed between the computer and the Internet (best). Normally, this is a router performing network address translation (NAT) or a hardware firewall. Some routers do both, providing NAT and a firewall. With NAT, the router's WAN or external interface is assigned the public IP address. A private address range (addresses reserved by IANA for this purpose) is then used for the LAN side of the router. The 192.168.x.x address range is one such range. The router then translates all requests from the private side to the public side. Any device on the LAN can initiate a connection outgoing to the Internet, however when the response comes back, the router checks the translation table to see if an existing connection already exists. If it does, the router accepts the traffic and allows it onto the LAN. If the incoming traffic does not match an already existing connection, as would be the case with random port scans, the traffic is dropped. With NAT, there is no way for an outside party to directly access any device on the LAN unless the device initiated a connection first. This provides some security. Additional security can be added if the router also functions as a firewall inspecting incoming traffic and making intelligent decisions as to allowing or dropping it based on where it came from, where it is going, and the contents of the packet. This type of setup is pictured above in the modem+router scenario. A common ploy for the telephone companies is to charge extra for multiple devices or try to limit the amount of devices that can be connected to their service by providing just a modem and perhaps a software firewall (Norton, McAfee, etc.) with their basic service and including a router in their more expensive packages.

So what's the risk? An analogy would be the front door of your house. Say you leave the door unlocked (modem only). Depending on where you live the odds of someone coming along (bad man on the Internet), finding the door unlocked, and entering the house may not be that great. However, the longer the door stays unlocked, the more likely it becomes that eventually someone will enter the house. The same is true for a computer network, however the time frame can be minutes or hours instead of days or weeks. A router and firewall is the locked door for a computer network. Do you lock your house?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 1, 2009, 06:38 AM
    .. i have an old modem and i guess it is dial up but it is a dsl through verizon..
    DSL is broadband, not dialup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Access my files on a computer I don't have physical access to [ 3 Answers ]

Goal: I want to get some files off computerX. Challenge: I do not have physical access to computerX. Info and Access I do have: * computerX is WindowsXP (media edition, I believe) * computerX is connected to a Linksys WRT150N

Ms Access [ 2 Answers ]

I am using ms access 2003. It has some forms that shows a picture for every product The images in the form will not shown. It display the file name. The picture does not show. Why ?

Can't access pop3, Pop3 access not working from my computer [ 1 Answers ]

I have XP SP 2 - Its been about a week since any of my pop3 accounts have worked (Gawab, Gmail, Spymac, Toughguy). The error messages I am receiving on all of my pop3 accounts are similar to : The host 'pop.gawab.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name...

View more questions Search