Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FairyWings Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 06:01 AM
    How much do donations affect amount owed or refunded
    Hi, Can anyone tell me just how much a tax deductible donation affects the amount you will owe or be refunded on annual returns? We had to pay around $3,000 last year. I would rather donate that, or at least a large portion of that, to my child's school or other organization. If we donate, how much less would we have to pay (estimated percentage), or does it really have any effect at all?

Thanks for your time and attention!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2006, 06:10 AM
    First, I'm not sure if a donation to a school, unless a private school, would qualify as a charitable donation. You would have to check to see if the school qualifies as a 501(c)(9) organization.

Second, charitable donations are deductions on your tax return. A deduction reduces taxable income. Assuming a tax rate of 28% you would have to contribute almost 4 times the amount you want to reduce taxes by.

Its also not clear whether your total tax liability was $3K or whether you had to pay 3K out of pocket.
    FairyWings Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Hi, Thank you for answering!

Yes, the $3,000 was out of pocket. So you think a good "rule of thumb" is on an estimated $3000, a donation of $12,000 is what would be needed to keep from paying the gov.

I was just using the school as an example, we could donate to the church or other organization if the school didn't qualify.

Sounds like we'd come out better just paying the Man! LOL!

Thank yo so much!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2006, 07:19 AM
    I was just using a 28% tax rate as an example. What you need to do is figure out your effective tax rate and do the math. The lower your effective tax rate, the more you would have to contribute.

If you had to pay $3K out of pocket, then your withholding is set too low. You might want to decrease the number of exemptions you claim on your W4s. I do not believe in loaning the govt my money interest free, so I try to balance my withholding so I get either a small refund or owe a small payment at tax time. Generally my I wind up with less than $100 either way on my fed return. Sometimes I come up short, other times, I get a small refund.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 17, 2006, 09:58 AM
    ScottGem's advice is solid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with calculating amount of Fe [ 2 Answers ]

I did an experiment involving the gravimetric determination of Iron in Geritol. At the end of the experiment I was left with a product, Fe2O3 that weighed 0.417 g I'm not sure how to calculate the amount of Iron from here. This is what I did. I calculated the molar mass of Fe2O3 to be...

Taxes owed on company based outside NY, office in NY [ 1 Answers ]

My employer is based out of Phoenix, at least their W2 states this, and my office is in New York City. Last year I moved to NJ and the payroll department started withholding NJ taxes. I work virtually but several times a month would go into the office in NYC. A few questions: 1) Is my income...

Vested amount [ 1 Answers ]

Friends, just need some clarification on some financial speak. What is vested amount in reference to a balance on a 401K statement? Thanks?

Back-owed FICA for 3 years? [ 8 Answers ]

My husband came to the States in 1999, and got on employer-sponsored H1-B during 2002. FICA was never withheld by his company before or after his H1-B. We never worried about it because we thought it was because he was here less than 5 years and therefore a non-resident. He has just received...

View more questions Search