Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eddykeller Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 04:50 AM
    Understanding Child Support Directive
    In my separation agreement (Massachusetts) I, as the NCP, have an article which speaks to Child Support. In brief it has 4 bullet points which say:
    A) No past of future claims to alimony
    B) A payment directive which says I pay X amount weekly.
    C) Obligation of amount is terminated on death of either party or emancipation of the children.
    D) Definition of emancipation:
    - death
    - marriage
    - full time self support
    - living independently (outside of college)
    - entering military service
    - 18 years of age unless in college and then 23 (or graduation from college)

I have 4 children ages 21, 19, 16, 10. Does the above mean I continue to pay the X amount defined in B (with no reduction) until the last child hits 23 (assuming she goes to college) since there is no statement regarding a decrease in payment as the older ones are emancipated?

If not how do I approach the court with decreasing the amount upon the emancipation of each child?

Thanks.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 04:58 AM

No - each one technically gets a portion, so as each child reaches one of those milestones, you should have your payment adjusted accordingly. Speak to the court about its procedure to have a support adjustment hearing.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 06:12 AM

Are you paying though and agency and by having a wage garnishment ? If so plan on contacting that agency aprox 6 months before changes are to take place. That way paperwork can go through and it can be recalculated. Also remember that even though its not written in there the rule of thumb in most states is that the child must turn 18 AND complete high school. So if their birthday of them turning 18 is in January then you would pay through June ( end of school year ).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Working Time Directive [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to sum this up? I need it for a business project and the intetrnet is REALLY confusing me! Any help would be fantastic!

View more questions Search