Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    basilrazi Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2009, 03:00 AM
    Othello and Wag the Dog
    Hi

I am not sure if this is correct section for this, but I am asked to compare/contrast Othello the play to another text, I have chosen Wag the Dog (movie with Dustin Hoffman)

I can see some connections between the two, but not enough, could someone please help me out.

Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 03:26 PM

Wow - you have certainly picked two stories with very different plots. What do you have so far?
    basilrazi Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2009, 11:12 PM

Yes I agree with you that the plots are different, but the module for this course is powerplay. I think this makes it more clear: the topic is powerplay, Othello is the main text and we have to chose another text relating to power play, and draw some comparisons between them

So in Othello, we see shifts in power, misuse of power, some characters have more power than others. The audience and Iago know what is going on but the other characters do not.

Similarly in wag the dog, the people of America don't know what is happening not even the NSA or CIA, while the advisors and people that make the "adds" for the war campaign do know. The characters due to many factors all have different levels of power, Conrad is the head advisor, the president is the president etc.

If you think another book/novel/poem/film/tvshow etc would be better suited to this task please let me know thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Othello quotation [ 1 Answers ]

"Iam not bound to that all slaves are free to".Can you help me understand the meaning of this? This is a phrase Iago says when he is addressing Othello. Thanks! :)

View more questions Search