Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoneya Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 10:44 PM
    Pure water from seawater
    How do I devise a method to obtain pure water from seawater.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 03:38 AM

The technology does exist.
    The process is called REVERSE OSMOSIS.
    These plants are usually large and are
    Installed by Governments.
    They exist in many countries.
    Malta has made great use of such plants.

Reverse osmosis. Chemists use a process called reverse osmosis to purify water and perform other functions. In normal osmosis, water flows from fresh water into seawater when they are separated by an appropriate semipermeable membrane. But, by applying pressure to the seawater, chemists can reverse the movement of the water and produce fresh water from seawater. Some shipwreck victims have used survival kits that convert seawater into drinking water by osmosis .

Contributor: John B. Butt, D.Eng. Walter P. Murphy Prof. of Chemical Engineering, Northwestern Univ.

-
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 05:07 AM

85% of the world's desalination is performed through Multi-stage Flash Distillation. This is an alternative to reverse osmosis.

Multi-stage flash distillation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Calculation of Silver in Seawater [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out how to calculate the total amount of silver in all oceans and seas.

Pure vitamins? [ 5 Answers ]

I've been reading up on vitammins and their affects on the immune system, so my doctor and I have decited to start using vitamin , but I have no idea where to but them from because I have also read that most store bought vitamin are not regulated on their ingridents, does anyone know where I can...

Pure science [ 5 Answers ]

Do you think that government funds (taxpayers money) should be spent on pure science research?

View more questions Search