Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Descalza Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 09:44 PM
    How Do I File a 1042-S Form As A Resident Alien
    Hello,

In August 2008, I became a resident alien for tax purposes, which I guess makes me a dual-status alien. I have received a 1042-S form (income code 19, $0 withheld), but when doing my taxes with Turbotax, I was not able to find a place to provide the information given in the form. I have read online that a deluxe version of Turbotax actually advises to ignore the 1042-S form: "Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's US Source Income Subject to Withholding, is not included in TurboTax and it does not need to be filed with your income tax return." Is this true?

I have read on the IRS page that dual-status aliens have to follow different filing procedures for the resident and non-resident status, but I am not good with taxes, and I am not sure I will be able to file my taxes correctly unless I find a software that helps me.

I have also read that the easiest way to "solve" this is to ask payroll office to issue a 1099 MISC form, but again, I don't know whether this is true. I was wondering if you could give me some advice as to what the best course of action is.

Thank you.
    talrejamanish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2010, 12:45 AM

Hi,

I am facing similar problems. Could you tell me what did you do.

Thanks
    Manish

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got a 1042-S form but am a resident alien [ 14 Answers ]

I did some contracting work for a company which mistakenly processed me as a non-resident Aliean and sent me a 1042 S form. I am actually a resident alien. If they can't fix this before the Filing deadline, what should I do ? Should I just attach the 1042-S form to my resident tax return ?

Form 1042-S (Income code 16) for Resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am a resident alien and would like to file the tax return jointly with my wife, who is a non-resident alien. My wife receives a travel grant last year and has a Form 1042-S as follows: Income code: 16 (personal service?) Gross income: 1375.00 Tax withheld: 412.50 May...

1042-S but resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien for tax purposes as I have been in US as a student since 2002 but have a 1042-S form. How do I report this income in 1040 form? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

File W-7 form without tax return and why to file as a resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA in August 2004 on F1 Visa. I graduated and change status to H1b visa from October 2007. Now, I got married and my hasband came to USA on January 2008 on H4 visa. I have my brothers whom I can claim as they have green card and not earning anything. I will have to wait till May 2008...

Resident alien student, failed to file W8BEN form, how to claim treaty benefit [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I am a student from mainland China. 2006 is my sixth year in US as a PhD student and I lost my non-resident status. I bought some stocks in 2006 and failed to file W8BEN form with the stock trading company. It turns out they withhold 28% of the transaction value. I am using Turbo tax...

View more questions Search