Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    houstontexas Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Feb 15, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Potty Training?
    I just got a 6 week olg Pit Bull. Can anyone help with some tips on Potty Training I'm.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 08:40 PM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...man-53153.html

Some excellent tips on potty training, crate training, everything.

Good luck.

Feb 16, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Does anyone else have ideas??
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 16, 2009, 11:46 AM

You must remember this puppy is only 6 weeks old and hence has a very little bladder control. You cannot expect the puppy to hold it for hours at a time at this age. You are going to need to take him/her out very frequently including after feedings and naps.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 12:18 PM

You need to get at least one book on puppy training ASAP. There is way, way, way too much to explain what you really, really need to know by writing it here.

You need to get those books for his sake and for yours. Most puppies cannot physiologically "hold it" properly until 4 months.

If you don't do this training the right way, you and the puppy will be miserable.

There's no point in not getting the right information from the right sources.

It's odd that you have him at 6 weeks. He should be with his mother until at least 8. where did this puppy come from?

You have a baby pit bull. What do you know about dog training? You're going to have to be very informed and very sure about what you're doing. Is this your first dog?

Feb 16, 2009, 12:32 PM
    I got him from my cousin. No this is not my first dog, but yes first time training him on my own.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 12:55 PM

Why is your cousin breeding pit bulls? Tell him the puppies need to stay with together until they're 8 weeks. If I were you, I would bring your puppy back to stay with his mom until that time. There are crucial things she and the other pups in the litter need to teach him right now that you can't. Without that time together right now, he won't learn those things. Also, at 7 weeks he will enter the fear period. You need to be extra, extra protective of him then. Phobias and timidity have been known to be created during that time. Your pup's brain is forming every minute. Promise me you'll get the books. They're a life saver. I don't know how I would have trained my puppy without them. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Potty training my lab [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get my lab to stop peeing in the house. Sometimes she will go outside and other times she will pee in the house when my back is turned but I catch her in the act what do I do?

Potty training [ 2 Answers ]

OK here's one for the experienced moms in here. My son turned 3 in August and he is still not potty trained. I think I am at my wits end. He does go when he's at school with the other children. He never has accidents there but at home its like a train wreck. I have tried punishment I have tried...

Potty Training [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a myth that girls are easier to potty train than boys?:)

Potty training [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a three year old male dauschund who is still not potty trained. At one year old he was trained and than we adopted two more dauschunds. It seemed to be not to long after that he began to have more and more accidents. He knows how to go to the bathroom outside, but seems...

Potty training my son [ 15 Answers ]

HELP! I have a son who will be three years old in 3 months. He has expressed zero interest in potty training. I have tried everything I can think of. I have tried putting him in underwear all day so he can feel the wetness, tried the little potty, the big potty, tried putting cereal in the...

View more questions Search