Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Domino147 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Barometer settings
    Hi, I'm brand new here and have a question on setting a barometer. I picked up a vintage, I believe 1950's Airguide barometer. I was wondering if I have to set the dial to my approximate elevation and what to watch for with the dials. I have a small temperature dial, a larger barometrice pressure dial and a humidity dial. I have always wanted one and found this one in an antique shop, it has no manual with it.
    If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks so much,
    Diane
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2009, 02:29 PM

Move the needle to where the gauge reads, If the needle drops below your indicator, low pressureis approaching. During a Hurricane the needle will drop extremely low. With the needle rising, good weather is coming.
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Feb 15, 2009, 02:39 PM
    Your question caused me to check the back of our barometer which we have for many years. Sure enough, there was an adjustment on the back and the adjustment tool was still taped to the back after all these years. If you are really concerned with its accuracy, weather reports on TV usually include the barometric pressure. Use the station that is geographically closest to you for the most correct settings.
    The question also produced a memory of military service. Our aircraft had only barometric altimeters which required the pilot to check with tower for current barometric pressure to caibrate the altimeter prior to takeoff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Airguide barometer [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased an Airguide Instrument Company barometer with temperature and humidity dials on it at an auction. I was wondering how to set the barometer and if there are any instruction manuals for this. I also was wondering how to read the barometer.

In LAN settings, when I click on TCP/IP settings, it is not allowing me to open up. [ 4 Answers ]

In LAN settings, when I click on TCP/IP settings, it is not allowing me to open up.

Airguide Barometer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 40's vintage Airguide Barometer with a broken face glass. I am looking for a replacement glass the glass is 4 3/4 inches in diameter. Any suggestions where I might look for a replacement.

Airguide Barometer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Airguide Barometer with humidity and temperature indicators as well. The Barometer looks like 60's era equipment. It is an indoor unit wood frame, glass front w/dial indicators and I keep it in the living room. The Barometer reading was 26.5 but online the weather statistics indicated...

View more questions Search