Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pat69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Fat Loss Vs muscle gain
    I just started working out at a GYM I'm a 57 year old male I'm 5,6 , 220 lbs right of the bat I'm doing 1- 11/2 hrs of cardio I use a mach that looks like a bike BUT you use your ARMS instead of your leggs I'm doing 15 Min 2 times , I'm using the tread mill 20 min 2 times I' also MAY use the step mach 10 min . 3-4 time a week .

Plus I another 1-1/2 hrs of mostly upper body building .

So may question is how do you know how much MUSCLE are you ganing Vs How much FAT
    You are lossing?

Thank you
    Pat
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 01:48 PM

Best way to judge that is go by the tape measure. Losing fat will slim you down. Your waist in particular will be smaller, also hips, neck and a few other places that tend to accumulate fat. If you are gaining muscle, biceps and maybe thighs should be getting slightly bigger. It's faster to lose fat than to gain muscle.

Personally, I think you need to spend your time a little differently. Upper body weights work is fine, but the big three are squat, deadlift and bench press. If you are not squatting and deadlifting, you are losing the opportunity to burn a lot of calories while gaining a lot of strength.

Do cardio that involves as many muscles as possible. Again, while using your arms only can tire you out, it's not going to burn calories (and fat) the way something like a treadmill, cross trainer or rowing machine will.

Ideally, alternative fast (sprint level) cardio with slower recovery. If you can, jumping rope for a minute followed by treadmill will speed fat loss and improve your CV health.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to gain 20lbs of muscle? [ 1 Answers ]

Im 6ft tall 180lbs, and am looking to put on 20lbs of muscle. I have always been around 165lbs but when my girlfriend got pregnant I gained a lot of bad weight and went up to 190lbs, but since then have dropped 10lbs and turned the rest into mostly muscle. I want to get up to 200lbs and the only...

Gain muscle and fat? [ 2 Answers ]

How can I gain muscle without losing fat? I'm 5'6 and 114 lbs. Is there a way to have both?

Muscle Gain [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 16yrs old, 113 lbs, and 5'2, I lift weights and I have not seen any real significant results and I have been doing it for about 4 months now, I am changing my diet, but what types of meals should you eat? Also I want to get rid of love handles and also build up my biceps, etc.

View more questions Search