Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ron C Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 11:13 AM
    How much Glyco do I need in my Radiant floor?
    We had a leak in our radiant floor heating system (pressure relief valve) that we had fixed, but we lost most of the original fluid that was in the system. It has an auto fill valve on it so it refilled with tap water as the fluid leaked out.

Now we find that we spots in the floor that freeze (by the doors or garage) when it gets 30-to 40- below and they don't open back up until it warms up to above 32 degrees.

Our house is 2700 sq feet and I am not sure how much glycol I will need to keep it from freezing to 50-. I know it's a 50 to 50 mix.

Any way to estimate how much glycol I would need to make it a 50-50 mix? I don't have anything that says what the volume of water our system uses.

What is the average cost of glycol?

Can I do it myself or do I need to hire someone to do it?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Oh and I live in Alaska

Thanks
    Ron C
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 01:26 PM
    You might use an automotive-type antifreeze tester to check the concentration/freeze point of the fluid currently in the system, and add glycol as needed to establish the desired mix. HVAC suppliers are usually closed Sunday, but auto parts stores are usually open.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 03:21 PM
    Ethylene Glycol Heat-Transfer Fluid

Many different types of Glycol. Make sure you get the correct one for your system.

Specialized Propylene Glycol, Ethylene Glycol, and Bioglycol for Heating and Cooling Systems

Feb 15, 2009, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    You might use an automotive-type antifreeze tester to check the concentration/freeze point of the fluid currently in the system, and add glycol as needed to establish the desired mix. HVAC suppliers are usually closed Sunday, but auto parts stores are usually open.
    How do you add it?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 05:23 PM
    No one-size-fits-all answer. Depends on system provision(s), and there are many variations. A vessel can be filled with mixture, connected to system, and pressurized to force it in. Some fluid will have to be removed first.

Feb 15, 2009, 08:14 PM
    I have a 5 gallon container with a puppy pump to fill with. We also have a bucket full of various hoses, clamps and adapters for all the different style systems. A 5 gallon catch basin for any overflow during the bleed or fill process works well and we also do not use an automotive tester but use a refractor meter (can also be used for salt water and brine mixtures in ammonia work) for proper mixture content and any temp corrections we need to make in the mix.

Feb 15, 2009, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    I have a 5 gallon container with a puppy pump to fill with. We also have a bucket full of various hoses, clamps and adapters for all the different style systems. A 5 gallon catch basin for any overflow during the bleed or fill process works well and we also do not use an automotive tester but use a refractor meter (can also be used for salt water and brine mixtures in ammonia work) for proper mixture content and any temp corrections we need to make in the mix.
    This doesn't sound like something I am going to be able to do myself.

Thanks for all of the replays.

Feb 15, 2009, 11:29 PM
    That is why I mentioned a few of the tools needed to do the job correctly. It is not a simple pour it in project since the system is under pressure.
    ConfusedInAK Posts: 184, Reputation: 16

Feb 17, 2009, 01:34 PM

Ron,

Depending on where you live, there are several plumbing/heating companies here that can give you this advice.

We own one, and I'm sure Mike could tell you the proper amount of Glycol to put in the system. We are in Wasilla.

Average price of the correct NON-toxic glycol will be $10-$15 per gallon depending on where you buy it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Radiant floor heating book? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to plan a radiant floor heating system for my house (built in 1912). I am basically redoing the entire house top to bottom so I figure I might as well change from radiators to radiant heating. I understand the concepts and have read everything I can find on it. I'm looking for a good...

Wiring radiant floor heat [ 2 Answers ]

I'm considering putting radiant heat in my bath since I've got it down to the bare bones for a remodel. I've read that each square foot of mat draws .1 amp. I'll be installing approximately 12 square feet of mat, equaling 1.2 amps. Can I tap into an existing circuit for this little of a draw?

Radiant floor heating in basement. [ 2 Answers ]

Where do I find that plywood with the channels in it for radiant tubing. And how much am I looking at, is it worth it? Thank you

Radiant Floor Heating [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a ranch house with natural gas radiant floor heating. It takes about 4 hours to reach my set temperature. Then it overshoots the temperature. Once it gets back down to the set temperature, the concrete (with embedded copper pipes) is cold again, which means another 4 hours to get...

View more questions Search