Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 12:15 AM
    Shake the fat off.
    I saw this thing on The Tyra Show that kind of just shakes you around, and you are supposed to lose 1-2 pounds per session. Does this work? How does this work? Where can it be done? How much does it generally cost? Is it a machine that can be purchased reasonably inexpensive for home?

THANK YOUSSSSS...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 06:58 AM

Those machines are viable. I didn't see the one you mention but I have a good idea. In Toronto there used to be salons (probably still are) that was nothing but tables that you reclined on and the motion of a particular part of the table would stimulate, say your hips, thighs, whatever. If you attended long enough, with their expert guidance, your hips, thighs would tone up and you would reduce the fat and cellulite.

Gyms used to have a machine whereby you stepped into a strap and turned the machine on, the strap was around whatever part of your body you wanted to tone and it would vibrate. It is a very good working principle.

If this is the type of machine you are talking about, yes, they do work, but I didn't know they had developed one that you could buy.

Tick
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 01:51 PM

Many gyms now have them. They are called vibro plates or vibro machines. Some video places have them too.

They have a place, you should certainly find that you can stretch more after using them, and they do work your body in a different way to conventional exercise. It is also possible that they will help to improve bone density.

However, they defintely don't burn 1-2lb per session. My gym has one, a good one, and while I find it is very good for finishing off muscles, it doesn't replace lifting weights, and it doesn't work miracles.
    Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    Many gyms now have them. They are called vibro plates or vibro machines. Some video places have them too.

They have a place, you should certainly find that you can stretch more after using them, and they do work your body in a different way to conventional exercise. It is also possible that they will help to improve bone density.

However, they defintely don't burn 1-2lb per session. My gym has one, a good one, and while I find it is very good for finishing off muscles, it doesn't replace lifting weights, and it doesn't work miracles.
    Good that you put a name to them. I had great success with them a few years ago because I used them on a regular basis (if they are the same as I used) they don't burn, they tone. No it doesn't replace cardio or lifting weights or walking, but at the time I was in much pain and had to do something, so tried that method.

I loved it for how it worked over time. Key phrase is 'over-time'.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 03:42 PM

I'd say it's great if you are injured. I've just today given away an air walker which I got when I was injured. It was great when I couldn't walk properly, but now I'm fully fit, it wasn't enough. I think the vibro plate is in the same category.

After doing bodyweight squats on it, I can definitely feel a certain residual effect the next day, but it's nothing like doing actual squats with a barbell.

Also, got to admit that after about five minutes on it, I start feeling a bit dizzy.
    Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 04:20 PM

Well, it can't be the same eileen. I was laying prone on tables and according to what part of your body you wanted to tone, say hips, as I said in my original post, that part of the table would vibrate. It was a calming procedure, helped circulation (good for toning) and an all over feeling of well-being. If I could find a franchise in my area, I would definitely go into this business and promote it wholeheartedly as a definite spa treatment. In fact I think St. Anne's in Grafton, Ontario have some of these tables. That is a high end spa in our area. (no I don't mind saying a town name). But they don't need promotion, they already have a very elite clientele from all over the world!

Tick
    Vision Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 11:57 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. That answered my question.
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 06:05 AM

No, the thing I use is like a platform that you stand on for squats etc, or put your hands on while doing press-ups, or your feet on while doing plank etc. It vibrates really fast (you have to leave your mouth open or your teeth will rattle) and forces your muscles to work hard to compensate. They are getting very popular now, but definitely not something you lie down on.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 06:20 AM

I would imagine the 1 to 2 pounds lost per session is water weight loss from the workout that will come back as soon as you have a glass of water.

Could I just sit on my washing machine during the spin cycle to work on my glutes as a poor man's version of this vibrating machine? ;P
    Vision Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 02:16 PM

Could I just sit on my washing machine during the spin cycle to work on my glutes as a poor man's version of this vibrating machine? ;P

HEY, would that work?? :P
    Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 03:45 PM

It would work for a couple of things :)
    Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 05:30 PM

I am so glad you are getting your... calcium, chi

Tick
    Vision Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 11:52 PM

Well, I was planning on it... I don't think it counts when it comes back out of your nose...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car shake when I drive [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2000 honda accord and when I drive it shake. The faster I drive the more it shake. I don't know if I need an alignment, ball joint, etc. If anyone have any idea that would be great. When I say it shake, I mean the steering wheel, dash board, mirror, etc.

Why do I shake? [ 3 Answers ]

Im 26. Ive been tested for diabetes and that came back negative - but every day at some point, my hands and my arms shake, I feel weak and as though the blood rushes from my body, I tend to suffer with panic attacks which I am starting to learn to control, so when I start to shake, as long as I...

Can't shake it off [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I have had a unstable marriage over 8.5 yrs. Finally, as a result , we decided to separate for a while and possibly reconcilliate later on. This was agreeable to both of us until my father and step mother caught him in public with another woman. I was devastated! almost to the point...

Monitor shake [ 2 Answers ]

I just noticed that in the upper left hand corner my screen is shaking, I also noticed that as I'm turning the computer off, a bulls eye type image appears in that same corner, is there anything I can do about this? It doesn't seem like the screen is shaking anywhere else, I tried moving the...

Shake IT Shake It Daddio Daddio [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know the name of that song on the old navy stripes commecial. Shake it shake it Daddio Daddio... I can't find it anywhere... Does anyone know??

View more questions Search