Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    72saddle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Which toilet extender is the best for this job
    I am trying to install my toilet after a tile installation. The tile floor is about an inch higher than the flange. I am trying to figure out which flange extender kit to use to resolve this problem. Here are my choices as I see them. (1) use a double wax seal, but I don't have confidence this will work.. (2) A fluidmaster no wax extender kit. This concerns me on multiple levels... (3) A plastic flange extender, which would necessitate stacking 3, caulsing leakage concerns. (4) an Oatey flange extender kit that has a rubber gasket then a half inch plastic extender then another plastic gasket. If I used this I would still need a thicker wax seal. I am also told to install this differently by different people. Some say just rest it on the old flange and the toilet will secure it. Others say I must screw the whole thing down to the old flange and floor to keep it steady.. . My main concern with these extenders is the old flange seems to me to be about one sixteenth to one eighth inch below the PVC pipe that flares out from the floor and again I am fearful that any extender other that a double wax ring won't be water tight. Can anyone please help
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 14, 2009, 03:56 PM
    72saddle:

Clean the old flange very well and then install the oatey flange... align the toilet bolt slots and then screw it down through the holes in the old flange to secure. That is the only way to install any extension flange.

Then install an extra thick wax gasket with extended toilet bolts and install the toilet as normal.

If the old flange is slightly below the pvc pipe then that is good as the oatey flange will mate up tightly to the pipe... that's a good thing... ;) The outer ring does not make the seal... but instead the plastic part of the flange/pipe mates to the gasket.. so you sound OK here.

In my opinion, this is the best solution in this case.

MARK

Feb 14, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Thanks massplumber2008... I am kind of resolved to use the oatey extender but I have the kit with the 2 rubber gaskets and the half inch extender in the middle... The Lowe's guy says put the rubber gasket on the old flange then the half inch extension over that and then the extra thick wax gasket... Is that what you are saying is best?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 14, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Yes... sounds reasonable to me!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 10:31 AM

Glad you resolved your situation...

FYI: All 4 ways of extending closet ring are acceptable and will seal properly - provided, they were installed correctly. Moreover,iIf you stack up 3 Oatey plastic extender rings - use caulk in-between each ring to assure positive seal.

Feb 21, 2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks for your responses... I put in the oatey kit but did not want to add a second spacer and there was just too much space between the spacer and the toilet so I decided to use the fluidmaster no wax kit and that seems to have worked really well. No leaks and pretty easy to install.
    jeteye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 72saddle View Post
    Thanks massplumber2008...I am kind of resolved to use the oatey extender but I have the kit with the 2 rubber gaskets and the half inch extender in the middle...The Lowes guy says put the rubber gasket on the old flange then the half inch extension over that and then the extra thick wax gasket...Is that what you are saying is best?
    I kind of squeek into your thread because I'm having the same problem, so I wonder what is the Oakly # did you get? I want to look at that for my flange. Can you get me a photo and the kit Number.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Down-rod extender [ 1 Answers ]

Do I use the extendor along with the shorter one that came with the fan?

Extender on Sewer line too high [ 6 Answers ]

I have removed the old floor which leaves me with a sewer line that is about an inch and a half above the subfloor. My plan is to install 1/2 wonderboard and then tile, but that is still going to leave the line above the floor. The house was built in the 70's so I believe the sewer line is iron....

Lan Extender [ 1 Answers ]

I am using lan extenders and extending Intranet up to a distance of 6 km. However the link is not reliable and sync alarm glows in between.I would like to know how can I enhance the efficiency of this link. Adhish

Waxless ring and flange extender [ 2 Answers ]

I am almost done tiling the bathroom floor and the old flange sits underneath the finished floor.. If I use a waxless ring like the one in the picture do I still need to add a 1/4" flange extender ? Thanks

View more questions Search