Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sophie1807 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 08:50 AM
    J-1 Visa, Filling and Tax back - I am so lost
    Hi, :eek:

I am working in the US this year from August 1st until next year June 30 and then switching almost surely to an hb-1 visa.

I wonder how to fill my tax forms and I have heard that we can have taxes back. How does all of that work??

Thanks for all the help provided on that forum
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 15, 2006, 04:18 PM
    While on the J-1 visa, and depending on the type of work you are doing, you may be exempt from all taxes, exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes, or liable for all taxes. I need to know the nature of the work you are doing.

More than likely, your employer is fully aware of your tax status. If they are withholding state and local income taxes and Social Security and Medicare taxes, then you are liable for these taxes. I suggest you discuss this with your payroll office.
    sophie1807 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 06:11 AM
    I am doing finance, they do take taxes for state and city and federal, I just do not know what is the concept of tax back impling.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 17, 2006, 09:53 AM
    Are they withholding Social Security and Medicare? The entry on your check stub would be either:

Social Security and Medicare

Or

OASDI

Or

FICA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Need help filling the W4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Hello to all the members here. I am a new member here and would like some information on how to fill the W4. I have recently joined a new employer and am wondering how to go about it. I will be filing as a single individual. I wanted to know if I can claim my retired parent's in India as...

H-1 Visa from F-1 getting back Social security and which forms to fill [ 1 Answers ]

I am hirenshukla from India currently,I am on H-1 Visa starting from October 2005 and was on OPT (F-1 Visa)from January 2005 up to September 2005 My company deducted the Social security from my from my pay during the entire year so could you please guide me how can I get that social security...

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

I'm so lost, I want him back [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, me and my boyfriend were perfect. Neither of us were the jealous type, we could go out to the bars and have fun and laugh. Not only were we lovers we were best friends. We had fun doing just about anything and nothing. Everyone envied our relationship. Then about 2 months ago, I started...

View more questions Search