Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tammy75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Arrest record.
    Hi everyone,

I live in Los Angeles, CA. Last year me and my boy-friend have an argument when I called 911 on him, but instead got arrested myself, even though by the time they arrived I claimed that it was a mistake and I didn't need their involvement. In the police report they stated that he called the police... I was not convicted, of course.. Well, I tried to find a lawyer who would help me to sue them for the false arrest, but most of the attorneys don't want to deal with the policemen.
    To make a long story short, I was contacted by the City of Los Angeles, Controller Office about my possible internship with them and was also told that they would have to run a background check, which also means that they will check my public,criminal record.. etc.
    So, I am worrying myself to death right now, because the arrest will show up FOR SURE.
    Even if I was not convicted, it is still a black spot on the record.
    Any ideas, how to deal with it? Is it possible to remove it ever from my record?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 06:51 PM

Sorry it can not ever be erased, it will not show up for public background searches but it will show up for police reports and any place a national security clearance is required.

On public reports only convictions show up.

Next sorry, merely being arrested on probable cause and it latter being dismissed or you found guility does not give you any right to sue the police, if you had a case they would have easily found an attorney since a real law suit against them would have been bigger money.

The fact is in a domestic violence call, they can't just do nothing even if you latter claim it was a mistake, if they see any signs of a domestic violence they are required by law to arrest someone, if they don't, the police officer can be held personally liable if here is further violence that next day or two at that location.
    tammy75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    sorry it can not ever be erased, it will not show up for public background searches but it will show up for police reports and any place a national security clearance is required.

On public reports only convictions show up.

next sorry, merely being arrested on probable cause and it latter being dismissed or you found guility does not give you any right to sue the police, if you had a case they would have easily found an attorney since a real law suit against them would have been bigger money.

The fact is in a domestic violence call, they can't just do nothing even if you latter claim it was a mistake, if they see any signs of a domestic violence they are required by law to arrest someone, if they don't, the police officer can be held personally liable if here is further violence that next day or two at that location.

Thank you very much for your response. I assume from your answer that you must be an attorney or somehow is closely involved within a legal system.
    Do you think that applying for position within a County of Los Angeles, considered to be a government level work, requiring national security clearance, that you have mentioned?
    I am from Russia originally, they might want to run a full check on me... :)

Thank you once again.
    I appreciate it.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military Arrest Record [ 14 Answers ]

Over 10 years ago I was arrested and court martialed for distribution of a controlled substance while serving overseas. I was acquitted during the courts-martial. Later, another soldier ended up accepting a bad conduct discharge for the offense since the evidence in my courts-martial pointed...

Arrest criminal record [ 3 Answers ]

IF you are arrested for a misdemeanor (disorderly conduct) will it show up on your background criminal check before you go to court?

Store name not correct on arrest record [ 2 Answers ]

Can a person be prosecuted if the arresting officer did not correctly identify the name of the store that the misdemeanor occurred? The charge is larceny for a 17 year old 1st time offender?

My Arrest Record [ 2 Answers ]

What is my criminal history?

View more questions Search