Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    norcal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Complicated (at least to me) tax situation
    Here’s the situation, created by equal parts fear, confusion and ignorance.

In 1999 got married to a Norwegian citizen and moved to Norway. I didn’t file taxes for that year (I just forgot. I am not even sure about the year before, since I have this weird “form phobia” that it takes me forever to fill out forms, There have been time when I have even not done my taxes in years where I was owed money because of my “form thing”, only to have to do them later.) anyway, I didn’t know that I would have to file US income tax forms while living in Norway until last year. It just didn’t occur to me I would have to do that. So since I found out I have been dragging my feet. I went to the IRS site and figure out what forms to fill out, but they are too complicated, and I can’t seem to find the right forms for my situation. I just get confused and frustrated and give up and bury my head in the sand. I don’t have a lot of money, and don’t personally earn more that $20,000 a year (except one year it was closer to $30,000, but usually between 10-20 thou). Here are the facts.

I am American citizen. I live in Norway and have for the past 7 years
    I am self-employed in Norway
    My husband is Norwegian and has never lived or worked in the U.S.(nor does he want to)
    I pay taxes to the Norwegian Govt.

Can you please help point me in the right direction?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 15, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Unless you have renounced your U.S. citizenship, you probably do owe tax returns to U.S. government.

It is likely that you do not owe any taxes, however, because of the Foreign Income Exclusion. The exclusion was $70,000 in 1999 and is $80,000 now, which more than covers what you earned.

Now you may owe self-employment taxes.

You need to get professional help from someone who is familiar with the tax treaty between the U.S. and Norway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very complicated situation, please help! [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I became an independent contractor of a financial company in May, 2004 while I was still on my F-1. But I did not make any income with them until late 2004, when I already changed my status to OPT. Then in February 2005, I found a full-time job and stopped working at...

Complicated tax situation (claiming dependants and ITIN related) [ 18 Answers ]

Hi. I came to the United States in September 2004, on a R-1 (religious worker) visa. My wife is also here, on a R-2 visa, and as per her visa requirements, she doesn't have any US income source. I have a SSN, but my wife doesn't and she is not allowed to have one either (I guess she could apply...

Complicated Tax Situation(Advice Needed) [ 5 Answers ]

To tax experts I have a complicated tax situation, I am working on OPT for a company since may 2005, I got married in September and my wife came to america on dependent F-2 visa, She got her L-1 approved recently and she has started working for a company since dec 15th. I am really...

Complicated question [ 1 Answers ]

I was married in Arkansas in 2001 by a jp. I was married for about a year before my wife was unfaithful then we separated but not legally. At that time we were living in California. She moved back home to Mississippi in early 2003. Later in 03 she filed for a divorce there and sent me the papers(...

Complicated situation [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir, I have a friend of mine who was here on h1B visa before 3 yrs due to slow down in computer field he was not employed and did not pay any taxes, He is now working and his employer is going to pay all the taxes,Is this going to be problem for him since no tax was reported to IRS before....

View more questions Search