Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladymac Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Harley shoots out oil
    My Harley-Davidson shoots oil out of the breather valve tube out the bottom end when I crank it after it has set for a couple weeks. I have one that does this and one that doesn't. Why does it do this?
    Avery92050 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2009, 09:45 PM
    Hi ladymac,

If it's an older bike where the oil tank is above the engine, like the horseshoe style under the seat etc... there's a ball check valve w/ a spring that prevents oil drainage from the tank and it's probably either "scored" or the spring is too weak to keep enough pressure on the valve. If the valve is leaking, the crankcase fills w/ oil and when you start it it's pushed out the breather. I don't know too much about the new ones but I'm sure they have a similar set up.

Hope this helps

Avery
    Avery92050 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2009, 10:41 PM

I forgot to mention the ball check valve is in the oil pump... sorry

Avery
    wadezer Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Avery92050 answered brilliantly. Softail models have the horseshoe oil tanks and gravity almost always wins with the check valve in the oil pump. Not much you can do other than change the spring and ball in the oil pump check valve or ensure you start the bike and give it a good spin around the block every couple of weeks. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stop unwanted maple shoots/sucker branches for good [ 1 Answers ]

I have a couple of healthy mature 18-24" dia. Maples in my view corridor. For the most part, they are bare of limbs for the lower half and full of foliage at their tops which is almost perfect. My problem is every time I trim the occaisional shoot from a lower area, the next year results in 3 or...

Kitchen sink/disposal shoots out yucky water and food! [ 3 Answers ]

We have just moved into a new house (built in 1950). When we turn on our garbage disposal, the drains on both sides of the sink shoot out really disgusting water with a ton of food, etc. in it. It truly shoots straight up into the air and pretty much gets on everything in the kitchen! Is this a...

Basement toilet gurgles and shoots out water [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We live in a 3 story 3 year old home. We recently had the basement completed and only sometimes when the washing machine is draining the basement toilet gurgles and shoots water out onto the floor. We had the septic tank cleaned which was completely full but did not solve the problem. ...

Faucet shoots out water eradically [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn my faucet on (hot water) it eradically shoots out water like stop and go. There isn't a steady stream of water. It seems like there are air pockets in the pressure or something. Any ideas on how to fix this?

View more questions Search