Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Feb 13, 2009, 05:42 PM
    Log and natural log
    There are two kinds, log and LN (natural log), but I don't know when to use them.

How do I know when to use log or LN for a problem? How can I determine that?

Please help. Thank you!
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 14, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi View Post
    There are two kinds, log and LN (natural log)
    Actually, those are just two of the infinite types of logarithms. You can have logarithms to any base. The two you've specified are base 10 and base e. Remember that a logarithm is an exponent. For LOG it is 10^x = y where x is the exponent. This is the same as x = LOG(y).

If an equation already contains LN or LOG, you have to use the same base to solve the equation. Often you'll use the antilog and you have to use it to the correct base. For LN, the antilog is e^x and that is often expressed as EXP(X).

For many equations, it simply doesn't matter. For example take this equation and solve for X:

X^5 = 35
    LN(X^5) = LN(35)
    5 LN(X) = LN(35)
    5 = LN(35)/LN(X)

and
    LOG(X^5) = LOG(35)
    5 LOG(X) = LOG(35)
    5 = LOG(35)/LOG(X)

Both answers are correct. Both answers give the same number.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Convert from oil to natural gas? [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have oil heating my home and my furnace is aprox 7 years old. Due to the high cost of oil, I was looking into a natural gas conversion. I've been told that you can convert from oil to natural using the xexisting furnace. It is difficult for me "understand" how the conversion takes...

Natural Person [ 1 Answers ]

What are the articles of "Common Law"? How do they relate to a "Natural Person" vs. a artificial person (Strawman)?

Changing from LP to natural gas [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Rinnai 21,000 BTU LP gas ventless space heater and would like to change it to natural gas. Can this be done.

Natural Gas [ 2 Answers ]

How do I install natural gas line (pipe) ?

View more questions Search