Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bibler Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 02:43 PM
    56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
    56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)

If the specification for the modem of a computer is as above, can I use cable connection? Is there any need to change / add extra hardware, apart from the modem box from the cable company?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 03:30 PM

N0 - that modem only works with analog phone lines

The Cable modem either requires an ethernet connection (RJ-45) or a USB connection. The latter is only recommended for a single user.

The cable modem must be before any amplifiers of the amps in the coax must be bi-directional.

Modems mix a lot of stuff together. They can be routers, wireless routers and switches.

If your only connecting one computer, you may or may not need a crossover Ethernet cable. This depends on your computer and cable modem model.

It must be a modem to demodulate the cable signals. It usually is a router to be able to route signals.

It MAY contain a switch, hub or a wireless access point.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2009, 04:47 PM

As noted, the modem you refer to is an analog modem for use connecting via phone lines.

If your computer is not ancient, it will probably have an ethernet port. It will look like a larger version of the jack on the modem.

If you subscribe to a cable service, they will usually provide the cable modem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Modem com port 4 [ 4 Answers ]

I have come across this problem a few times but can never remember how I fixed it. My modem is installing on COM port 4, I only have COM port 1 and 2. I have NO resource conflicts, have uninstalled and reinstalled many times with the same result. Thanks Dan

Telabs 8110 modem ican I used it as leased line modem [ 3 Answers ]

In my office there is a Tellabs 8110 modem from where internet is connected . Is it is a leased line modem or it is a fixed ip broadband modem :)

What is the difference between dialup modem and a Broadband modem? [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference between dialup modem and a Broadband modem?:confused:

Broadband Modem & Modem with Router (DSL-2640B) [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm connecting broadband using D-Link ADSL broadband Modem, the connected computer will connect to Internet after verifying username and password. If I'll replace that modem with D-Link DSL-2640B (A broadband ADSL Modem WiFi router) then will this router can connect to Internet automaticall...

Replace data/fax port with firewire port [ 2 Answers ]

I want to buy a dell inspiron 531 computer from costco. It has a TV tuner and a 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem. I know the TV tuner uses one of the two available pci slots, but does a data/fax modem use anothwer pci slot? I want to have an open pci slot so I can add a firewire port. If the data/fax uses a...

View more questions Search