Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NewLifeNewMe Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Adoption pros and cons
    Would you ever consider adopting a child? Why or why not? I’ve been considering this for a while now. It’s not that I’m not capable of having my own children, but I’ve always thought of adoption as a very admirable thing to do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 01:46 PM

I think if you are seeking to do an admirable thing, you have the wrong mindset. If you want to love a child, adoption is the answer, whether you can or cannot have your own children.

I have a dear friend who has 5 children. Two are adopted. If you ask her which ones she says she can't remember.

That's someone who should adopt a child.

If you want to be admired, take in stray cats.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Adoption is not meant to make one feel admirable.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2009, 06:24 AM

It is a very admirable thing to do... but not a reason for doing it. If you want a child, adopt one. If you can love that child forever, adopt, if you have a hole in your life where a child belongs, adopt. Heck, if you are afraid or for whatever reason unwilling to birth one yourself, adopt.

If you are looking to adopt because it takes a "bigger person" than having one naturally... who cares. Adoption is about building a family, not one's esteem (self or otherwise).

As to would I - absolutely. I have also given a child to an adoptive family. I think adoption is a wonderful thing if done for the right reasons.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 14, 2009, 10:16 AM

I could PERSONALLY never adopt, for many reasons, not the least of which is that I'm a birthmother, and just could not deal with the whole thing from the other side.

I think that someone who wants to adopt because they'd like a CHILD (and notice that I did NOT say infant here) in their lives and would like to love and care for a child for the rest of their lives--that's a good reason to adopt.

Bad reasons to adopt: You want a BABY and can't have your own, you think it's admirable, you think you're "saving" a child, etc.

Personally, I think that adoption is a big business, and that there's not enough known about adoption by the general society for most people to even have a knowledgeable opinion about it.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Most people do think it is admirable. I suppose if you were rescuing a child from abuse and neglect on an emergency "no time to think" basis, it may just be admirable. Kind of like a fire fighter going in and making a rescue.
    With adoption, it is nothing like that. There are long lists of applicants that can do the job as you can... so what puts you at the top of the list? I guess would be the best question. There are older kids of course, like Synnen was pointing out that are in a bit of need of a permanent family, but most want to start with the babies. The list for adopting an older child has a lot less applicants. Good luck.
    GoodLuckJen Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 03:21 PM
    Of course I would adopt a child.. There are too many children out there that aren’t lucky enough to have their parents raise them. They get stuck in foster homes.. which may turn out for the better and other times for the worse. Kids get abused all the time. If I had the financial security, I would definitely bring a child into my home.
    GuruCindy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Yeah, I’ve heard terrible stories about kids in foster homes. They think they’re going to be in a better place and sometimes it just ends up worse than their original living conditions. There’s actually a movie I’ve seen commercials for recently that deals with the american foster care system.. called America actually. This is the trailer for it: YouTube - America - SATURDAY at 9pm|8c on Lifetime
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodLuckJen View Post
    Of course I would adopt a child..There are too many children out there that aren’t lucky enough to have their parents raise them. They get stuck in foster homes..which may turn out for the better and other times for the worse. Kids get abused all the time. If I had the financial security, I would definitely bring a child into my home.

If you can't adopt for financial reasons but otherwise qualify, have you considered being a foster parent?
    GoodLuckJen Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 03:09 PM
    I have considered being a foster parent.. It's something that caught my interest.. Problem is I don't have the space right now. When my in laws move out, I may be able too. It is definetely something I want to do.. :(

And I've seen commercials for the movie. It’s on tomorrow night I believe. This is the link to some interviews of the cast members at the premiere I was just watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPt1ZMr_308

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pros and Cons list what to do. [ 8 Answers ]

Ok here goes... I have been weighing the pros and cons of staying with my current boyfriend and have talked with several friends but haven't solved anything. First I would like to start by saying he is the best man that I've been with and the thought of leaving him hurts my heart. He...

What are the Pros and Cons? [ 2 Answers ]

What are Pros and Cons If you finish a Bachelors in Nursing: In the Philippines (4years) Or In the US (LPN to RN to BSN) I am also considering the cost, landing a good job, quality of education and other factors.

Pros & Cons. [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone Please help me with this question: I am considering the nursing field. Please remember that I am asking as an outsider looking in: ADVANTAGES 1) I think this field will continue to grow so job demand should be good. 2) Flexible schedule (I think) 3) Opportunities for travel (I...

DirecTv Pros and Cons [ 5 Answers ]

I switched from Dishnetwork who I was a customer with for almost 4 years to DirecTv a few months ago. I was fed up with the constant technical problems from DishNet and they didn't want to fix anything. I like DirecTv so far because they own the equipment so if anything breaks, then they are...

View more questions Search