Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Detta ruedas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 11:05 AM
    Judgement I was never served. Can they do this
    I received a judgement from a credit card debt that was 6 years old. I never was subpoened. What do I do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 11:43 AM

It will be valid until you do something.
    You go down to the courthouse and see how it was served, there are various levels of service. Did they know where you lived, if not service by publicication could be allowed.
    Was anyone served in a residence of yours, subsitute service.

So go down and see how they clamined you were serviced,

Then you ask for a hearing for improper service.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2009, 11:48 AM

You can try to get the judgement vacated on grounds of improper service. The information you received should include the court and docket number, so you can take that to the court to find out how you were served. However, is your memory that good that you know you weren't served 6 years ago?

But if you find service was improper then, by all means file a motion to vacate. The judge will hold a hearing and, most likely, your motion will be granted.

And then the plaintiff will have a new subpeona and will serve you before you leave the courthouse.

So, all you really accomplish is a delaying tactic and the opportunity for a hearing. Now, if you think you can disprove the plaintiff's case then this could be an advantage to you. Otherwise the plaintiff will just get a new judgement. So you might want to just try and negotiate with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Never served any paperwork can I get a judgement filed against me [ 11 Answers ]

I heard that someone was trying from a different state to serve me with paperwork in a civil law suit. I never was served by any means. No certified letters, no notes on my door nothing. I heard the case was going to court this week. It was initially a suit between two people and the guy being...

Civil judgement -never served [ 2 Answers ]

I have a civil judgement from 1999. I was never served papers pertaining to it. I was under the impression that civil judgements were only valid for 7 years. My bank received a restraining notice from attorney for the judgment creditor, I was given a copy after I realized my account was frozen. ...

Served Papers About a Judgement [ 12 Answers ]

I need advice. Yesterday I was served papers about a debt with a credit card company. It is MY debt. I was young and very dumb about my credit cards. Now they are catching up to me. I am broke. I honestly don't own anything. No savings, I rent, and my car is financed. I as of right now have 19 days...

Judgement Papers Served in Georgia [ 13 Answers ]

I have a few questions. I live in Georgia. I was served with judgement papers for an old debt from 2000 that I just didn't (and still don't) have the money to pay. I have 30 days to respond to the Clerk of Court. I have since re-married. I do not work (my husband does), but I am too ill to...

View more questions Search