Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ana52408 Posts: 152, Reputation: 17

Feb 12, 2009, 10:25 PM
    Do not know what to name a girl puppy!
    Hey guys, so I just got THE CUTEST OF THE CUTEST dog for my boyfriend, omg I'm obssesed with dogs just way too much lol OK so I'm going to give it to him on Valetines day but I don't know what to name it and I wann name it before giving it to him because if we ever do break up, I want him to at least remember me by the dog and the name.

Any suggestions! Pleaseee helppp!

I was thinking Kiss me because since its valentines day or dana because his name is danny and mine is ana or Daisy or Stacy :) please helpp!!
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 12, 2009, 10:54 PM

Why did you get this dog? Have you discussed it with him? Are you even certain he would keep the dog if you broke up? Is he going to be able to keep the dog for the rest of its life or even for the next few years? Pets are lifetime commitments, not impulse holiday presents.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 13, 2009, 02:56 AM

Ana, have you really put a lot of thought into this? You are young, and of course all puppies are cute! You wanted to give your boyfriend a puppy, so whenever you aren't together he will just look at that cute little pupply and think... awwwww, she reminds me so much of Ana! How sweet and adorable! This dog will forever remind me of Ana!

How cute is little "Kiss Me" going to be when she starts chewing up Danny's stuff? How cute is she going to be when she poops and pees all over the place, and now Danny has to clean up after her and house train her? How cute is she going to be when he can't sleep all night because she is whining and crying all of the time. How cute is she going to be when Danny has to pay the thousands of dollars it takes to care for a dog?

Have you thought about what this is going to cost Danny? Just food alone will cost him thousands of dollars to feed him for the life of "his" dog. Then of course there are vet bills. Just the normal cost of booster shots, deworming, and yearly check-ups alone will cost hundreds of dollars. This is not to mention emergency room visits! Take a guess what my precious pup cost me in the last yr. She cost me in excess of $2500... not including food. (and worth every penny to me) Can Danny really afford that? Keep in mind---this is the cost of a dog for ONE year! You don't even know at this point if Danny and you are going to be together next year at this time! Oh, and trust me, although guys love dogs too?---they are NOT going to be looking at that dog and thinking about you when you break up. But I digress---he might be when the dog is pooping on his carpet.

Do you or Danny know what to do if the puppy contracted the parvovirus? Do you or Danny know what it is, how fast it can kill a dog, and what signs to look for? Do you or Danny know about other common deadly diseases a puppy/dog can contract and often times you are left with a dead dog and a huge vet bill? Do you or Danny know what foods are deadly to dogs if they are fed to them, or left out for them to get at? Is Danny going to look at you in a good light for giving him this cute little puppy, if she dies? You better start doing your research now!

Answer this question for me. Which one of these foods are poisonous and/or toxic to dogs? Pick a few, they are not all right answers.
    ---chocolate
    ---beer and alcohol
    ---peanut butter
    ---mushrooms
    ---onions
    ---nuts
    ---carrots
    ---potatoes
    ---milk
    ---grapes
    ---raisins

Can you pick them out without Googling them? Don't cheat now!

The point I'm trying to make is that a dog shouldn't be a "surprise" gift! I'm not trying to make you feel stupid, I'm just trying to point out why this wasn't a wise choice.

Do you even know if the place that Danny lives allows pets? Depending on the breed, do you know the laws in your area? Do you know a dog needs regular walks and exercise to burn her energy? That takes time! Does Danny have that time? If not, the dog will suffer the consequences. She will take out her excess energy by displaying bad behavioural problems. Danny will have to deal with that.

I know you meant well, and thought it was such a sweet thing, but a surprise gift of a precious life is NEVER-- EVER a good idea! This is why millions of dogs end up back at a shelter and have to die, every single year. :(
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Feb 13, 2009, 01:53 PM

Oh my. I hope you've planned and discussed this with him. I have two dogs and I'd be very angry if my husband "surprised" me with another one.

If its his gift, let him name the dog. If he doesn't like what you pick, he'll rename it anyway.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 02:01 PM

It's never ever ever a good idea to buy a dog as a gift for someone.

A dog should match the personality and energy level of it's owner, no one else should pick out a dog but the person who's going to be caring for it.

I don't see this ending well.

If you think picking a name for this dog is your biggest dilema, well, you didn't give this enough thought.
    charl89 Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 02:08 PM

Well I think it's a cute idea. If I gave my bloke a dog he would be over the moon, he loves dogs. Anyway we brought me a kitten and I have to say that was the best thing I ever got. I love her to pieces. I am sure she wouldn't have a bought him a dog if he didn't want one!
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 02:13 PM

What kind of breed of dog is it?
    Pets Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charl89 View Post
    well i think its a cute idea. if i gave my bloke a dog he would be over the moon, he loves dogs. anyways we brought me a kitten and i have to say that was the best thing i ever got. i love her to pieces. i am sure she wouldnt have a bought him a dog if he didnt want one!
    I won't give you a disagree, but I do disagree.

Too many people buy dogs as gifts without asking first. Most of these poor dogs
    End up at shelters, many never leave.

It's never a good idea to buy a pet for someone as a gift. NEVER!

If you really want to gift someone with a pet, why not a gift certificate for the
    Local shelter? You can pay for the cost of adopting a pet but then they get
    To choose the one they want.

No shelter that I know of will allow you to adopt an animal for someone else.

Pet stores, well, you, of course they will, most of them get their dogs from puppy mills
    And don't give a darn where they end up as long as they can make some money.

A legit breeder also wouldn't sell a dog to someone who's buying it as a gift. They want to
    Know where their dogs are going to and who will be taking care of them.

This is a very bad idea and only the puppy will suffer.

Feb 13, 2009, 02:25 PM

Ok why is everyone so negative. For the record, I have FOUR DOGS! I've been growing up with animals my whole life! I do community hours at pets smart. My boyfriend has had 1 dog and she recently died of cancer. He's been wanting a dog its not like I'm just going to so that if he doesn't even want one. He's mom knows and she said yes. He lives in a house and if we brake up I'm taking the dog back no matter what. 2nd, like I said, I have FOUR dogs I won't let a dog have a bad home.

I have two going to 3 family members that are vets, Im actually going to be either a vet or a lawyer in my future because I love animals, Me and my family rescued 4 dogs during hurrucan Katrina and Wilma and we found them ALL nice homes, and actually they are living the life now. Im not that much of an idiot to buy someone a dog out of random. I only asked for names not for opinions. He wants one, his familly wants one, and since I'm so attached to animals I have hooks ups of people that can give me one. Danny also have a cousin that is a vet. The dog will be fine because if I rescued 4 stray dogs that I didn't know where they've been and I didn't know anything about them and I didn't let them have a bad home, then why would I give this dog a bad home? My family NEVER EVER feeds the dogs human food, they eat their normal cracker dog food and they have NEVER EVER been sick that we've need to take them to the vet. They have all their daily check ups allllll the time etc. obviously you guys need to ask questions first. There something called ASSUMING which you guys are all doing. There is something called questions. Ask before answering something you don't know.

and thank you Charl. Im telling you, people now a days don't know how to ASK.

Feb 13, 2009, 02:26 PM
    It's a baby jack russell. It came from my best friend's dog's stomach. She's pure breed. She already got her first booster shot and now when she turns 9 weeks she needs another one.

Feb 13, 2009, 02:28 PM
    One of my siblings is going to neuter her when she is a little older BY THE WAY.
    Pets Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 02:31 PM

Why didn't we get any of this info before?

This

I wann name it before giving it to him because if we ever do break up, I want him to at least remember me by the dog and the name
    And this

He lives in a house and if we brake up I'm taking the dog back no matter what
    Don't make sense together.

Bottom line, no matter how much you love dogs, care for dogs, rescue dogs, blah, blah, blah, it's never a good idea to buy a dog for someone else.

One would thing that with all your "knowledge" and all the community work you do with dogs that you'd know this.

This is an accident waiting to happen. If you don't know that then you weren't paying attention while working at pet smart and resuciing dogs.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 02:31 PM

Name Her Val for Valentine's day. But if were me getting the dog I would name her myself.
    Pets Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana52408 View Post
    One of my siblings is going to neuter her when she is a little older BY THE WAY.
    You don't even know that female dogs don't get neutered, they're spayed.

You're getting this dog from a friend? Is she/he a licensed breeder? Did he/she have
    The dogs genetically tested before breeding?

As for asking questions, we base our answers on the info given. If you decided not to tell us everything we needed to know to answer your question, well, that's not our fault. Sorry, my crystal ball is on the fritz.

Jack Russells are a difficult breed, stubborn, yappy, hard to train. Is your boyfriend up for the challenge?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 13, 2009, 03:11 PM

You come here and rag on us for answering when we didn't know the info? How about giving it? Still a bad idea! Sorry if this upsets you. As Alty said before, you NEVER pick out a dog for another person. Again, they are all sweet and cute, but a person has to pick the dog with the right "energy" for them. This doesn't just mean physical energy. I stick to what I said. NEVER buy a pet as a surprise "gift!"

Also, I see that you didn't answer any of my previous questions! See, I WAS trying to ask some!

Feb 13, 2009, 03:33 PM

OK well 1st ill probably let him keep the dog because I know its in a good home, 2nd yes I meant spayed my mistake,2nd, umm you people have serious problems with attitude. Once again in only asked for names so if your going to keep on with the nagging, then you should stop commenting because once again I just asked for names!
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 03:37 PM

You don't seem to be very optimistic saying you want to name her because if you split up she'll remind him of you, that's like some kind of revenge isn't it? plus if she does remind him of you won't he want to forget about you if you've split and hence 'move the dog on' or give you the dog back instead? for the name you could name her after yourself or one of your nicknames but I really don't agree with your reasoning for naming the puppy :(
    Pets Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana52408 View Post
    ok well 1st ill probably let him keep the dog because i know its in a good home, 2nd yes i meant spayed my mistake,2nd, umm you people have serious problems with attitude. Once again in only asked for names so if your going to keep on with the nagging, then you should stop commenting because once again i just asked for names!
    You posted on a public forum, did you think that we would just come here and say "Aw, cute, you bought a puppy for your boyfriend, here's a list of cutsie names!"

Sorry, my first concern is the actual dog, I couldn't care less what you name it.

As for the attitude. When you deal with 100-1000's of people every day, breeding their dogs when they have no idea what they're doing, buying a dog and then bringing it to a shelter or putting it to sleep because it peed on the rug, getting newsletters from the Humane Society telling you how many dogs had to be euthanized today because of people who don't put any thought into the cute little puppy they're bringing home.

Was I harsh, yes, but see what I see every day and, if you care at all about dogs, you'll have an attitude too when you see someone doing something totally irresponsible.

It's too late now, you already bought the puppy, hopefully it will all work out, but statistically speaking it doesn't look good.

Happy Valentines Day.
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Feb 13, 2009, 03:52 PM

Name it Juliet!

(you know, Juliet and Romeo)?
    Pets Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi View Post
    Name it Juliet!

(you know, Juliet and Romeo)?
    That story didn't have a very happy ending. :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The girl of my dreams turn into the girl of my nightmare [ 6 Answers ]

We where going out for 5 years and it was great the first 2 years. We seen each other everyday and we love every minute of it. Then her mom found we were going out and try to make it bad for both of us. Then her mom put her in jail for stealing a key chain and running away from home when her mom...

Puppy trying to go back home? Puppy Attatchment? [ 8 Answers ]

http://bp2.blogger.com/_FAAhWpUtQZk/RuRyYXJT6-I/AAAAAAAAABE/oFHBuJrtsyU/s1600-h/buddahs.jpg Photo can also be seen at buddahs.jpg (image) Above a photo of Johnny Cash (jack russell mix). Someone gave me this dog mid August when she was 2 months old. I had her from mid August till the end of...

My Baby girl Marley.(puppy) [ 1 Answers ]

My dog's name is Malrey she is My baby and I want her to be happy and healthy, but.. :( Thursday, I gave her food (as normal) before I left to go somewhere (I would be gone for a day) I came back Friday, and noticed she didn't eat her food, so I thought well, maybe she wasn't hungry because she ate...

Girl felx time to have sex look how long you make the rudeboi to sweat,girl flex [ 1 Answers ]

What's the name of the song that goes to this lyrics,girl flex time to have sex look how long you make the rude boy sweat girl flex

Puppy pining after death of puppy sister [ 1 Answers ]

In November I adopted two no determined breed puppies who were about 9 weeks old. Although they did not look alike, my feeling was they were siblings. WE have had several power outages in our area and despite having two gates barring my property the puppies were able to get out and sadly the...

View more questions Search