Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Feb 12, 2009, 09:46 AM
    my grampas riddle
    3 men go to a hotel, they only have 10$ each and the rooms are 30$ each so they decide to share a room... the housekeeper takes them to their room. Later on that night the manager starts to feel bad that 3 men have to share the room so he decides to give them back 5$, the 3 men realize that you can't evenly split 5$ so they each take 1$ and give the housekeeper a 2$ tip... now each man has paid only 9$ for the room, and 9$multiplied by 3 men is 27$ total, and the maid has 2$... 27$+2$= 29$... so where did the other dollar go??
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 10:04 AM

Definitely a classic puzzle - I first heard this one 40 years ago (back when $30 could actually get you decent hotel room).

I could respond with the solution to the puzzle if you like, but that might ruin it for others.
    Jentau Posts: 57, Reputation: 8

Feb 17, 2009, 09:51 AM

I'm stumped.. help please ;)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 17, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jentau View Post
    i'm stumped..help please ;)
    Of the original $30, each man got $1 back and therefore spent $9. So between them they spent a total of $27 to cover both the room at $25 and $2 for the tip. So the math is:

$27 (what the men spent on room and tip)
    - $2 (tip)
    ---------
    $25 (what they spent on the room)

With me so far?

The riddle tries to confuse you by doing an addition instead of a subtraction, like this:

$27 (what the men spent on room and tip)
    +$2 tip
    --------
    $29.

So you can see that the $29 figure is meaningless.
    Jentau Posts: 57, Reputation: 8

Feb 17, 2009, 11:04 AM

Yes I asked my sister about it and this is what she said:
    Uh... I figured that if they each had 10 bucks... gave it away ($30)... then got back $5 for them to share. So still, the hotel has $25 of their money and the dudes have $5 (this still equals $30... 25+5)... So then they each have 3 bucks each. The hotel still has their 25 bucks and the maid has their 2 bucks so the hotel has 27 bucks and the dudes have 3 bucks. 27 + 3 is 30. I don't see a dollar missing... but maybe my brain figures it out different?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riddle me this. Someone has to know this one! [ 36 Answers ]

Okay --- I have been bet that I cannot find the answer to this riddle... I need you all's help! Here it goes: WHAT IS ALWAYS TALKING WITH NOTHING TOSAY,SILVER AND ROUND ON BOTH ENDS,AND YOUR BEST FRIEND WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT?? My first guess was -- battery --- eh, I was wrong... ...

Riddle me this [ 5 Answers ]

If there are 5 ladies and 5 apples in a basket, and all the ladies take one apple, how could one apple still be left in the basket? Can someone help with this riddle

Here is a riddle for yeah! [ 10 Answers ]

What is greater than God, More evil than the devil, The poor have it, The rich need it, And if you eat it, you'll die? It took me awhile to figure this one out but it made sense after I did. When asked this riddle, 80% of kindergarten kids got the answer, compared to 17% of Stanford...

The riddle [ 6 Answers ]

A well known fashion designer, wanting to escape the hustle and bustle of the city, decided to spend a few days at a rural resort. After a day relaxing, she went for a winter stroll to get some fresh air. That was the last time anyone saw her alive. The autopsy revealed that her death was due to...

Riddle me this [ 1 Answers ]

I am the sum of all my parts, yet equal to none of them. The answer has two words and this is a number riddle

View more questions Search